A look at the UK's first socially distanced concert venue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/a-look-at-the-uks-first-soci.html

1 Like

My god, children in cages!

3 Likes

Those elevated pens are basically hundreds of small stages. Which presumably have to be disassembled after every show if the grass is to live.

Hello Galactic Senate! Hover pods for the win!

4 Likes

… but you need pens for one, not five, to stop the spread.

1 Like

Does the math really work out on this? The increased overhead, increased time for ingress/egress, and reduced capacity seem like it wouldn’t.

Good on them. Live music is something that’s really been missing, and I can see how, after dark and with the stage lights up, this might feel almost normal. And as a mid-height female who has spent many a concert with a very tall person standing directly in front of me blocking my view, this might almost be preferrable.

4 Likes

Assume the five are a group of family or close friends. Do you go to concerts alone? I don’t. I also like it that if we’re in our own little pod, nobody can complain about my kids wiggling too much.

2 Likes

That said, “Virgin Money Unity Arena” has got to be the worst, creepiest name ever for an arena. It’s dystopian AF, and I’m not sure if I even want to read the novel it must have been inspired by.

6 Likes

Remain in your government approved 2m Fun Zone for the entirety of the mandated entertainment period. Do not leave your 2m Fun Zone during this period. Two minutes hate will follow immediately after this entertainment period. For more information please reread.

6 Likes

Scarfolk reference, in addition to 1984?

3 Likes

Yup, it seemed appropriate! Feels more like a Black Mirror moment though, if Charlie Brooker ever feels like it’s the right time for another series.

1 Like

That shit needs to be retired until real life no longer resembles it…

4 Likes

That’s exactly my point. This is a “you must have this many friends to enter” sign, and it’s unfair to people who’d like to attend alone.

1 Like

Maybe you should make some friends, Stephen.

Yeah, well I believe that’s the reason he’s given for it being on hiatus at the moment. Having said that, back in the early days when it was on C4 in the uk it was all about the grim meathook future but has softened somewhat since moving to Netflix so you get episodes like San Junipero and Striking Vipers.

1 Like

I am aware.

I’m stating it needs to stay that way.

There’s no need for nightmarish dystopian fiction when one is already living in a dystopian nightmare.

Despite the widespread high acclaim for the series, that’s the only ep I really liked.

But then again, I don’t care for hopeless dystopian fiction as entertainment in general.

It reminds of Nix’s diatribe in Tomorrowland:

"In every moment there’s the possibility of a better future, but you people won’t believe it.

And because you won’t believe it you won’t do what is necessary to make it a reality.

So, you dwell on this terrible future. You resign yourselves to it for one reason… because that future does not ask anything of you today."

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.