A look back at the D&D moral panic

I can get behind that.

1 Like

They were full blown adults attempting to verbally abuse a table full of kids. They weren’t as witty as us, and it became a verbal game of shooting fish in a barrel.

2 Likes

My dad was the one who taught me to play. I always felt bad for the kids whose parents thought it was some evil satan thing. I mean, my mom thought it was stupid, but she thought that about all the stuff I liked (and uh still does). I was raised totally non-religious so honestly the whole “oooh it’s SATAN” stuff probably only made my dad like it more. Although, Mr. Bells grew up a devout Mormon who wouldn’t listen to anything but classical music for fear of Satanic influence and even HE played D&D with his dad.

Of course, it was the 80’s and I am a girl, so I didn’t get a lot of chances to play outside of my immediate family until college.

I still have my dad’s old box set. Some of the books are missing, but there’s a character sheet for the thief I made when I was 8 still in there. In fact, I think we probably have enough books at our house to play any edition of D&D. It helps that Mr. Bells has a best friend at WOTC so sometimes old books magically show up at our house.

3 Likes

I played a bit in this era. The rumored occult links made it seem dangerous at first until we realized how stupid and tenuous that connection must have been. My brother and I just got the books and tried with our friends to figure it all out. We were probably 11 or so at the time. We had fun, but never really got serious about it.

I still have that set of nearly mint condition manuals (1st ed players’ handbook, DM guide) and about 8 near-mint condition adventures, plus an untouched pad of Armory Character Sheets. Amazon has the pieces listed at around $500 in total, for used copies. I expect that is not the best place to sell mine. Any pointers?

1 Like

No that makes them Donald Trump.

My hipstery nerd pals looked down their noses at D&D and played something called “Mithril.” It was a realist’s version of D&D where you could make more money robbing bars and restaurants than following some idiot quest into a dungeon.

I lost a friend to Satanic Panic over music. That stuff was way more prevalent in the 80s. He was a hard partying rock and roll fan with a scholarly interest in the music. When the “Rock = Satan” charlatans would visit our local churches, he’d be there to brandish the actual copies of “Hotel California” and would challenge the flim-flam men to find the offending Satanism on the actual product. In a short time, my friend became a born-again Christian. That was a much more insidious little scheme they had going there.

2 Likes

A realist’s version would ignore the bars and restaurants and loot the treasury with the help of a few paid politicians. Generally by providing services needed for the entire kingdom to follow some idiot quest.

(Former Haliburton/KBR CEO and still stockholder Dick Cheney’s war made him and his friends very rich indeed. Small wonder it lasted far longer than WWII.)

I don’t think it has, at least not uniformly. It’s no longer a national belief, but some people still seem to be hanging on to it. It was still going, to some degree, in the '90s (e.g. West Memphis Three), and just last year there was a family murdered in Florida that was called a “pagan ritual killing.” Because the bodies had been found the day before the “blue moon.” (but had been killed some days before that, which meant there wasn’t any connection to the event), were “arranged in a ritual pattern” (except they were in different rooms), and killed in a “ritual manner” (variously shot, stabbed, bludgeoned). The family member accused of killing them had a book about Wicca, so cased closed, I guess. Every so often I read about other rural, Southern law enforcement talking about “Satanists,” so clearly for some people the panic lives on.

3 Likes

The irony is that Gary Gygax was so Christian he refused to celebrate Christmas because of its pagan nature… http://boingboing.net/2012/12/24/gary-gygax-explains-why-christ.html

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically the point of EVE?

2 Likes

We all love Gary.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far. But it is definitely a televised form of pure evil incarnate. My niece loves that stuff. Despite my best efforts to introduce her to Studio Ghibli, the Diniverse, and Godzilla, she still just binges on Ponies when I babysit her.

Isn’t that what I said? (Possibly my perspective is skewed by the fundie Christians in my family…)

There are a lot of rumors around Gary’s religion and world view. I have heard everything from Orcs (and their rape encouraging deity) being a stand in for black people to a paladin’s alignment requirement based on God being lawful good. I can’t find a lot of support for the former, and a lot more for the latter.

Yeah, the cleric/paladin stuff was heavily modeled specifically on Biblical stories and European Christian history and folklore (such as the false belief that the mediæval Christian clergy who fought in wars used clubs in battles as a way of getting around prohibitions to “not spill blood”). Despite all the fantasy/multicultural deities, religion was very much a (mock) mediæval Christian affair in D&D.

1 Like

Not to mention the inspirations of things like paladins coming directly from fantasy novels with heavy Christian leanings, like Three Hearts and Three Lions.

1 Like

they just can t admit that humans are quite capable of doing truly dreadful things without the need for supernatural intervention beside anything else that would mean their god got it wrong in the build, just think a sort of divine zero day exploit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.