A look inside the Codex Seraphinianus

Originally published at: A look inside the Codex Seraphinianus | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Here’s to hoping it’s rediscovered centuries from now and causes as much debate as the Voynich Manuscript.

10 Likes

It’s just a mystery.

2 Likes

I would also recommend looking at the works of Timothy Ely, a book artist in Oregon (I think he lives in Oregon). His works are each one of a kind. They are like field notes by an alien, or maybe an Atlantean. I had the pleasure of hearing him give a presentation with some of his works, a number of years ago, which was fascinating; he will tumble river rocks from the stream on his property and use the resulting rock dust as pigment, or take paper out and mash it around in vegetation to get a particular effect.

And a short video about his creative process;

9 Likes

Mr Serafini is truly in an enviable position: he has created something beautiful, AND he’s been thumbing his nose at everyone for decades, daring everyone to solve his puzzles.
It’s a pity that the book itself is rather expensive, but the wallet-pain will be salved by repeated viewings over the years.
Just don’t set your butt on fire trying to recreate the sports therein depicted…

4 Likes

Reminds me of this wee gem:

9 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I’d mentioned before that I was really interested in this book but that it was way too expensive to buy just to satisfy my curiosity. Now that I’ve seen some of the contents, it feels much more worthwhile to actually get it.

1 Like

Watched Tuca & Bertie last night with my partner, and we flipped over the multiple shout-outs to the Codex Seraphinianus during Season 2 Episode 10. Lisa Hanawalt is obviously a fan!

8 Likes

I’ve often thought that it would be fun for a costumer to (attempt) to make some of the clothes;

5 Likes

Serafini + Hieronymus Bosch + Dali

4 Likes

Imma pretty sure that the Boy’s book from ‘Vivarium’ was designed as a homage to the Codex.

4 Likes

If you re-wrote the Instruction booklet to super mario 2 in a made-up language, it would actually be a pretty good budget mystery codex…

8 Likes

Seraphini missed only one thing in this indecipherable work: An indecipherable title.

4 Likes

Or an ikea catalogue

3 Likes

Perhaps Babylon 5 already did.

4 Likes

A shot in the dark? A big question mark?

1 Like

Good point!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.