Pre-order Rizzoli's 40th-anniversary edition 'Codex Seraphinianus'

Originally published at: Pre-order Rizzoli's 40th-anniversary edition 'Codex Seraphinianus' | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I’ve coveted getting one but this anniversary edition is 150 bucks, yeesh. Way out of my comfort zone on what i’d want to spend on a book.

1 Like

I remember getting one of the originals via a kind soul on rec.arts.books, who sold me an extra copy he had found in a remainder bin. Twenty bucks including shipping. It was a nice bit of kindness on the pre-Facebook internet.

3 Likes

I actually looked into this last month after finally identifying a weird image I had and learning of the book’s existence. I love books, I work in a bookstore, and have some money saved up, but there’s just no way. This is marketed solely towards conspicuous consumers and ultrafans. I just want to read and enjoy it and I cannot justify that price.

1 Like

It’s the perfect companion to your deluxe edition of the Voynich Manuscript.

1 Like

I held a first edition in my hands once, in a book store when it first came out. I fell in love, but even then, at half this price, it was too rich for my blood. Now, decades later, I’m teetering.

1 Like

A Dave in Santa Barbara, CA introduced me to this book. Want! Where did he get it? “Moe’s, in Berkeley.”

Several years later I saw another copy in Geneva, Switzerland. Want!! Where did he get it? “Moe’s, in Berkeley.”

At home in NYC I thought, one can buy anything in NYC, surely? (“Great apes”, Dave challenged) I called a few bookstores. “That’s a funny book! No, we don’t have one right now, but when we do, it goes for $400” or so.

I went to Moe’s, in Berkeley (mid-'90s). They had me fill out a form to get on their Codex Seraphinianus waiting list. There was no place for an email address, but I wrote it on there anyway. “We don’t handle email here”, the employee told me, and I responded, “By the time the book comes in, you will.”

About a year and a half later they emailed me to say a new printing was in. $470 apiece, how many did I want? I got two.

3 Likes

I have the 2013 limited edition in a red slip cover and it’s a beautiful book. But I wonder if they’re making too many editions. Why make a 32-year version and then another one at 40-years?

2 Likes

From the description they added 15 unreleased drawings to the book

Should I get it now or wait for the movie adaptation as a family-friendly Christmas film starring The Rock, Dame Maggie Smith and The Great Gonzo?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.