The Voynich Manuscript for your coffee table

[Read the post]

1 Like

I thought that had already been solved.

10 Likes

Wasn’t Voynich Manuscript a character in Pacific Rim? And what if my coffee table is already covered in lunatic manuscripts, like multiple Codex Seraphinianuses and the like? Should I get a bigger coffee table? Where should I put the bigger coffee table? By the piles and piles of old newspapers? And didn’t I own a bunch of cats? What happened to them, anyway? What happened to all those cats?

4 Likes

I try to slip a little Voynich into my work whenever I can

12 Likes

It’s coffee tables all the way down.

8 Likes

Hmm. Low resolution paperback versus retina imac. Decisions, Decisions.
Where are these scans?

1 Like
5 Likes

That was my immediate thought. :grinning:

1 Like

@jerwin the link is in the post

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/esp_ciencia_manuscrito07a.htm

1 Like

Next: the creator of the paperback files a takedown request with the Yale Library for rights violation.

4 Likes

This is one of those cases where you really need to see the complete book before purchasing.

The pictures in this post, and the pictures in Amazon’s “Look Inside”, make it look like a really high-quality, fancy reproduction, with aged pages etc. This seems unlikely but definitely not impossible (see books like House of Leaves for creative things publishers do with paperback books).

The pictures that customers posted on Amazon, however, show that this is just a cheap print of a scan, with lots of white space around each scanned image:

That gutter in the middle in particular looks bad.

The cropped images of the pages being used by Amazon, and reproduced in blogs, is making this seem like a very different book, and honestly seem pretty unethical.

2 Likes

Why would I not, were I to want a coffee table version of this, download the super-high-res images, and then use some print on demand service to spit out a nice looking book for just me?
Am I missing something?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.