A masterclass in reverse image-search

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/yandex-wins.html

1 Like

I initially came across this article from this twitter post. It was interesting to see not just how search engines compare at image search, but how you can get one to identify what you want, by blurring or removing elements that could “distract” the algorithm.

3 Likes

Is a reverse image search where you forget the results of previous searches?

3 Likes

I guess that is enough for most people.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate?

1 Like

Finding related animal pics of animals you already have one picture of, e.g. an especially cute beaver.

2 Likes

So if the algorithm is trained by repeated use who has spent all those human hours training it?
Why would the Russians want or need such a finely tuned tool?
Why are we helping them train it to further precision through use.

I know, I know
1 indentured servants
2 broader political ends that one couldn’t even imagine
3 because it saves me/my company money, and fuck democracy if I can more easily make a buck.

3 Likes

Same thing could be said about Google and US.

3 Likes

I’m running Windows 7 on an 11 year-old computer with nothing but Windows Defender. Do I dare to even try the Russian search engine Yandex? Nope, no I don’t.

Online dating necessitates a good handle on Yandex, Tineye, and Google image search.

1 Like

Nah, that’s the electric kool-aid acid test. Reverse image search is more like …uh… forgot what I was gonna say.

Bellingcat is group of paid propagandists who really should not be mentioned except to condemn them. Per a NY Times article, their leader, Eliot Higgins, “attributed his skill not to any special knowledge of international conflicts or digital data, but to the hours he had spent playing video games.” Seriously. For more on them, see here.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.