A matrix of the best Captains in pop culture

[Permalink]

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s sadly missing the best Captains Jack.

Case 1.

Case 2.

Had I actually made my account when I thought I had, those would be imbedded images instead of links…

6 Likes

A few things stand out to me:

1. The guy from firefly is on here twice
  2. A Tintin / Captain Harlock crossover would be great
  3. Captain Crunch is easily waterlogged
4 Likes

R.I.P Franky Gee :cry:

No Captain Pugwash?

2 Likes

I think Kirk should have been farther in the direction of “Runs a fine ship”, and Picard should have been the farthest. In both series, they keep insisting what fine ships they are, and in ST:TNG especially, they hammer on the point that the Enterprise is the best-run ship ever so much that you really get sick of hearing about it.

7 Likes

8 Likes

So, the main takeaways for Captain Haddock are that his ship is always taken over by the villainous first mate after he drinks himself into a stupor, but eventually he’s redeemed, typically by his near-lethal uppercut. I don’t think these guys have actually read any Tintin comics.

5 Likes

Looks like I’ve beaten all the other nerds to it… No Captain Solo?

12 Likes

He also helped start an anarchist revolution.

3 Likes

Where is Han Solo? Technically he’s the Millenium Falcon’s captain, can kick ass, and the ship is pretty fine parameters-wise but is also one big ball of duct tape maintenance-wise (where does it put it in the x axis? shouldn’t there be two orthogonal variables?)?

(And there are too few baling-wire-and-duct-tape ships out there in the culture. For some reason I have a weak spot for systems (including starships and other vehicles) improvised from whatever got scavenged or bargained, and violating all the industry regulations that are written and then some. Star Trek is good but the sterile always-up-to-specs tech is somewhat too sterile; give me the beat up Nostromo freighter over Enterprise any day - and you can keep the xenomorph.)

6 Likes

Uhh excuse me, Captain Planet can fly and control all of the elements, I’m pretty sure he can kick all those other captain’s asses, with maybe the exception of Captain Marvel. Ginyu is pretty strong, but he has the whole “villains can’t win” thing going against him.

“Him”!

1 Like

Captain Mal is more badass than Kirk? I’ll take $10 on that action.

5 Likes

He’s there, just behind Captain Mal.

3 Likes

Missing Beefheart, the greatest Captain of all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF177Aj59C8

7 Likes

Where does this guy fit?

5 Likes

Man Carol Danvers isn’t the best Captain Marvel published. It’s Monica Rambeau.

Of course, there is only one true Captain Marvel.

3 Likes

Captain Picard should definitely be higher on the “can kick your ass” scale then Kirk. He could probably bench press Kirk… Even Kirk from the Generations movie.

4 Likes