A matrix of the best Captains in pop culture

He’s off the chart.

1 Like

Hey wait a damn minute. Captain Kangaroo was a trained Marine. He certainly shouldn’t be in the corner like that.

Nobody puts Kangaroo in the corner.

16 Likes

Cap’n Birdseye not cool enough? Wait. No. Why am I even asking?

But where’s Zapp Brannigan?

7 Likes

Where would Captain Beany be on that scale?

3 Likes

Beefheart needs a whole different axis.

3 Likes

Captain Jack Harkness is invisible as it’s actually spread all over this graph.

7 Likes

Captain Kangaroo did enlist in the marines, but he never saw combat so it’s hard to gauge his individual mettle.

Private Kangaroo sounds like a cartoon about an Australian spy.

1 Like

He’s a rear admiral!

I know, I know…

2 Likes

He didn’t see combat - but he’s still a trained Marine. Which makes him a bigger bad-ass than the average Joe. Certainly he could kick Captain EO’s as. Hell I could kick Captain EO’s ass.

1 Like

I suppose it depends on which Captain Haddock you’re talking about. Sir Francis was pretty badass:

7 Likes

Mal would just throw Kirk into the nearest engine.

1 Like

…what about Captain Nemo? Captain Fantastic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-7meAF-_g)? Captain Flint (Treasure Island)? …and from “Catch-22”; Capt. Yossarian, Cap Aardvark (Aarfy), Capt. Black, Capt. Flume.

Also, I noticed that there’s no differentiation between Navy, Army,Air Force, or Marine Captains.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Also worthy of nominating:

12 Likes

I think the Caine Mutiny explains somewhere that they are promoted to major on shipboard, since there can only be one captain on one ship.

1 Like

Alright, the first of you who sez America has a love affair with violence is eating a football-bomb.

7 Likes

That captain was a badass one. But then 27-years old Victor Mostovoy was even better than that.

Also, some details here: http://englishrussia.com/2009/01/11/st-petersburg-water-landing/
Combining the details, they had a front gear problems so it did not lock in open position, and would collapse on landing. The crew went so far as using an axe to chop a hole in the floor and used a shaft from the coat closet in an attempt to push the gear into position, but failed. In an attempt to burn fuel before landing they discovered the hard way that the fuel gauges aren’t calibrated properly and lied that they have a bit more fuel (OOPS). So on the Neva river they had to land, so they did.

3 Likes

Captain Kangaroo was a trained Marine.

Aren’t you confusing him with Mr Fred “25 Confirmed Kills” Rogers?

1 Like

Arr. Ye second link be broken.

1 Like