A Deep Dive Into Cap'n Crunch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/05/a-deep-dive-into-capn-crunch.html

6 Likes

Of course, that also depends on just which navy the good Cap’n serves. Does the Sugar Navy use the same rank stripes?

13 Likes

a hero to phone phreaks, Cap’n Crunch took the eponym after discovering the whistle he got as a prize in the cereal blew a perfect 2600 cycles per second, the exact tone the phone company used to make calls.
Joybubbles had perfect pitch and could whistle it by mouth alone.

25 Likes

I suppose the argument is American cereal company=American navy, but the Lucky Charms leprechaun is obviously Irish despite an American cereal manufacturer.
we really oughta get to the bottom of this.

7 Likes

Well damn! This explains why, as a kid, I was always so confused as to whether or not to salute the Cap’n!

3 Likes

Relevance uncertain here, but by maritime tradition - if not law - any sailor with his or her own boat/ship may be addressed as ‘captain.’

21 Likes

Perhaps “Cap’n” is his first name a la Major Major Major.

14 Likes

It was my.impression that a lot of cereal was identical, they’d just come up with a new name and package. obviously some I liked, but others were awful.

I can’t remember if I tried Crunch. Honeycomb I coyld never have second time. I had Quisp or Quake, and couldn’t stand them.

I don’t remember trying cereal because if whatever giveaway came in the bag. So it seems I was swayed by advertising or packaging.

The last time I bought cereal, it was about 2004. I’d just got a DVD player, and one company was giving away DVDs in the box. So I got Spy Kids, The Mask and an Alice in Wonderland. I can’t remember why I got no duplicates.

1 Like

He strikes me as more Irish than the Irish in a way that only Irish Americans are

13 Likes

And this is the Cap’s view.

3 Likes

This will have to be settled in an admiralty court. [checks for fringe on flag]

Also, no discussion of this topic is complete without Neal Stephenson’s masterful exegesis on the optimal eating of Cap’n Crunch cereal from Cryptonomicon.

http://akkartik.name/post/capn-crunch

15 Likes

14 Likes

Deep dive you say?

5 Likes

What about any schmuck with a keyboard making up usernames?
I don’t wanna go to prison.

9 Likes

Reminds me I need to reread the fantastic webcomic Breakfast of the Gods.

3 Likes

[You’re fine by me, Cap - and I held a USCG 100-ton Offshore Auxiliary Sail-endorsement All-Oceans Master Mariner’s License, making me an actual “Captain.”]

9 Likes

I believe he is Oirish.

4 Likes

What is the ranking system by how many gouges on the roof of your mouth?

6 Likes

A Deep Dive Into Cap’n Crunch

I read this on AO3 already. It was pretty hot but I wasn’t into the part with the Soggies and the glass coffee table.

1 Like

Then there’s the Captain Kangaroo problem.

9 Likes