A meteorite likely smashed into this man's home, utterly destroying it

If it wasn’t a meteor, how about some Chinese space junk?

1 Like

I didn’t think the pedant pendant was something to aspire to.

12 Likes

To covet it is also to be denied its cold embrace…

16 Likes

Have you been reading my Tinder profile?

4 Likes

Could he get dinero from a satellite manufacturer? Is that even possible, legal?

:person_shrugging:t6: Who knows these things?

1 Like

That was going to be a key plot point in the (alas unfinished) third Dirk Gently novel. At the end of the second book, Dirk’s flat is destroyed as a side effect of the Norse god Thor turning an eagle back into a fighter jet (it makes sense in context). The insurance company refuse to pay for the extensive damage, claiming that this is the clearest possible example of an “Act of God”. Dirk counters that because the contract was formed in England, which has Anglicanism as its state religion, any references to God must mean specifically the Christian God, and not “some Scandinavian thug with a hammer”.

18 Likes

Not until you get the people at the “meteor crater” – otherwise known as “Arizona’s second most important hole in the ground” – to clean up their act.

1 Like

Acts of God are generally covered by homeowner’s insurance (although some things are carved out (e.g., earthquakes)). On the other hand, Acts of God are often an excuse for performance of a contract (e.g., a blizzard).

Reading my own policy, I don’t see an exception for meteor strikes, in any event. Do you object to the term? It’s a very useful term of art which has been around since mid-1800s and is so baked into the law I can’t imagine it ever being changed.

1 Like

A dog was killed? :frowning:
Not cool. Pretty crappy, actually.

4 Likes

Zeus!

3 Likes

There was definitely something that came tearing across the sky. I live near Sacramento and there were sightings of the whatever-it-was from multiple people across multiple counties. The odds of an unknown flaming object heading that direction and actions corresponding with insurance fraud both occurring at essentially the same time seem a bit, well, slim.

2 Likes

Not really. Bright meteors occur all the time. House fires do, too. Blaming a house fire on a recent occurrence of a meteor sighting might be a natural thing to do for someone who wanted to avoid culpability for accidentally burning their own house down, if that person knew nothing about meteorites. Not saying that’s what’s happened, but it’s not unlikely. And certainly far more likely than " a meteorite burned down my house," which isn’t a thing that has ever happened in the recorded history of humanity.

6 Likes

you burn down your house on accident. later, that day someone tells you there was a meteor. it’s not coincidence if you then start telling people a meteorite burned your house down.

[ … and beaten to the :boxing_glove: by @Elmer :cat2: ]

4 Likes

18 Likes

Well, maybe we’ll know for sure in the morning.

7 Likes

I was going to post that.

New God. Who dis?

3 Likes

That’s neither here nor there. The important thing to remember is that the pendant finds you.

2 Likes

I’m veering further off topic but I can’t get enough of that Dinosaurs newscaster’s name.

3 Likes

If you ever see a fireball, you can report your observations here. It takes you through a number of questions and aggregating your information with other people’s reports (min = 5) gets a pretty accurate description, trajectory, etc.

Here’s the reports from this one:

3 Likes