A Native American folk/rock/country soundtrack for today, and any day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/26/a-native-american-folk-rock-country-soundtrack-for-today-and-any-day.html

4 Likes

Needs more cowbell.

And don’t forget this fantastic performance!

12 Likes

Some thing seems familiar…

6 Likes

And for those of you who prefer something heavier:

8 Likes

While not American, this is my current favourite rock band. The singer has Mi’kmaq heritage.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Needs Kjarkas

1 Like

Those are all dudes. Surprisingly, Native American (and I am including Canada and Mexico) women are also capable of making music.
No, honest.
My fave…

Been listening to her for almost 60 years, and she never fails to blow my mind.

9 Likes

This is a great list but the title is misleading as none of these artists are Americans. Sugluk are from Salluit (Quebec) and are Inuit so you should either refer to them as such, or as Indigenous.

Not sure where the Groupe Folklorique Montagnais but would suspect it would also be from Northern Quebec.

Willie Thrasher is also Inuk, but from the Northwest Territories. Given that he is a longstanding advocate for Inuit and First Nations rights in Canada, it’s a bit rich to describe him as Native American. Same with Morley Loon, who was Cree, from Mistissini (Quebec)

Alternatively, you could replace Native American with either Indigenous OR First Nations & Inuit

9 Likes

Yes - also worth mentioning that none of the artists showcased here are actually American.

2 Likes

Seconded.

First Nations peoples and indigenous peoples are still here. It’s a dang miracle bought through untold suffering. Important to withdraw participating in ongoing erasure wherever possible.

I have attended ceremonies led by Lakota from Rosebud who refer to themselves “Indians.” I have found usage of this to be a common term when I listen to them talk.

I get it that this term is generally accepted in conversation among themselves. I still think identifying tribal names and recognizing indigenous peoples by their tribal affiliations is worthwhile.

@Alex_Meegs --if you have guidance, I’d love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

ETA: grammar

4 Likes

In Canada, the term Indigenous (capitalized) is an accepted grouping for Native, Métis and Inuit peoples. So this can be a good default.

It’s also never a bad idea to refer to people with specificity as it relates to the name of their tribe.

Both Native American and Indian are terms that, as non Indigenous, we should use very cautiously given the extent to which they tacitly imply the legitimacy of colonialist discourse and fail to recognize that lands on which live were never ceded.

4 Likes

Yes, thank you. I’ve often thought especially of “Native American” as oxymoronic. And probably mostly just a way for white liberals to feel good about themselves (mere inclusion =/= justice).

3 Likes

The thing is, if you just say “People”, it ends up confusing a lot of others.

1 Like

Buffy Sainte-Marie is an obvious one to list, so I assumed this re ording was about diversity.

I was surprised Floyd Westerman was missing, he’s probably better known as an actor to many. But if tge list is for “less obvious” he’d belong.

Of course there are lots of musicians. A few years ago I read an article about Amanda Rheaume, Metis, and realized she’s distantly related. She’s a musician, thiugh I’ve yet to hear her music.

When I first heard of Moe Clark in 2008, she was doing spoken word, but she’s branched into music.

Could you expand on that? Who would that confuse? How does your comment help with efforts to more accurately and/or respectfully identify certain kinds of people?

All these words are to describe some other. But from their viewpoint, they are people and others are others.

Indian, native, indigenous, whatever are clarifiers to define a subset of.people.

I can say “People are tired of racism”, but I’m really talking about specific people, so “People directly affected by racism are tired of it” clarifies, but yes, it’s cumbersome.

A few years ago the CBC went from using “aboriginal” to using “indigenous” and I saw people shift instantly. Not giving thought, just shifting because they wanted to use the right word.

But I get email from Indian Country Today, and National Congress of American Indians, it’s good enough for the American Indian Movement, and the Canadian Encyclopedia refers to my great, great, great grandmother as "Indian’

That’s not reason to use the word, but I suspect many more people know what word not to use than to know real detail.

Indigenous or whatever is just a grouping. It’s open to abuse too, “indigenous language” as if there’s one monolithic language.

People want their identity because that’s one thing others tried to take away from them. But their identity is just a small part of who they are.

1 Like

LOVE the Hu.

2 Likes

Finnish metal with John Two-Hawks. Excellent tune

1 Like