A Native American folk/rock/country soundtrack for today, and any day

1 Like

A Tribe Called Red (Ottawa, Canada)

Black Belt Eagle Scout (Portland, OR)

Máscaras (Portland, OR)

5 Likes

Absolutely. Indian, indin, ndn is something we call ourselves, but it’s not at all appropriate for whites to use those words. And yes, if you don’t know a person’s actual tribal nation, refer to them as first nations. I personally don’t mind “native” or even “native american”, but I’m a 50 year old halfbreed, living on the U.S. west coast most of my life, with family up at Six Nations of the Grand River, Ontario.

7 Likes

I am grateful for your post.
Thank you.

This had been my impression. Relieved to know that my years spent avoiding that term were spent [first intuitively, then as accepted practice] with right understanding, one way to recognize First Nations as people who are here, still, and indigenous, beyond a doubt.

I grew up in a three-language household, understanding that words have power. Words will not change reality, but they can change how people perceive reality. Words create filters through which people view the world.

Agreed.
Occupied land taken by force: guns, germs and steel, and more.
Over and over, human history is full of awful, profane acts of violence.
And miracles.

Let us speak the truth even if unrecorded, erased history is only now starting to be reclaimed.

4 Likes

Wait, @milliefink you’re Redbone?? /s

2 Likes

These responses are predictable since indigenous (JTrudell) humans have no platform much less owned media.

Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World is really a must see.

If you can’t get it from where you are after clicking through any PBS popups, check Amazon Prime.

discovered tribe called red a few years back. Was going to drop their spotify link

1 Like

Some folks pointed out that the list is mostly Canadian native. Floyd Red Crow Westerman was a great American - South Dakota Sioux country musician who covered a lot of standards and collaborated with lots of stars back in the 70s also wrote some very woke music while involved in the American Indian Movement in the 70s.

He also became an actor late in life, lots of roles including Chief 10 Bears, Costner’s Chief and mentor in Dances with Wolves.

Another canadian group - Billy Thunderkloud and the Chieftones were a country rock band that had a couple records with airplay back in the day (and had a song on a grammy nominated historical album just a couple years ago). Billy was commonly called the Indian Elvis (I seem to remember him calling himself that on stage) - they were huge on the pow-wow circuit. He headlined the Choctaw Indian Fair in mississippi for years when I was a kid.

I mentioned Floyd up the thread.

In 1980 I went to the Survival Gathering on the plains of South Dakota. There were concerts and Floyd Westerman performed at least once, including “Custer Died for Your Sins” though I can’t remember other titles. A friend wanted to talk to him, so I actually met Floyd. It was sort of amusing to later see him in movies and commercials. I think he was connected to AIM.

Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt also performed there.

Missed it. For sure Floyd was at least peripherally involved with AIM. My parents played the Custer Died for Your Sins 8-track in the car a good bit back in the day. It was pretty much all protest songs. (Dad was an anthroplogist and both parents worked for and with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw indians from the 70s through the 80s, so lots of pow-wow and fairs when I was little)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.