A new Star Wars: The Bad Batch promo

Originally published at: A new Star Wars: The Bad Batch promo | Boing Boing

1 Like

Fingers crossed for it being more like Clone Wars than Resistance. Small child is slightly concerning. Hope they turn out to be as competent as Ezra in Rebels and not just the “character that is always in danger and has to be saved.”

2 Likes

I just want at least one entry into the Star Wars franchise to acknowledge that the Old Republic ultimately brought about its own doom by embracing mass slavery as a means to wage their wars. The Sith were evil, yes, but the Jedi fell because they allowed themselves to be complicit in evil.

2 Likes

I think Clone Wars was pretty clear it was UNCLEAR which side is even ‘right.’

Ordnung uber alles or Freedom with random religious zealots lopping arms off.

3 Likes

Not even that. When the Jedi allowed themselves to be complicit with the creation and deployment of the clone army they became slavers, not champions of “freedom.”

1 Like

From the onset of Episode 1, the Jedi were opposed to the Separatists self-determining. Eventually even Luke, THE fanboi who wanted to restart the order realized it was outmoded, destructive, and not good for the force.

1 Like

Agreed, but all the prequel stuff including the Clone Wars series treated the Jedi’s complicity in the use of a slave army as something that fell under “kinda cool but morally ambiguous” rather than outright evil.

Even the kid who was born into slavery never calls them out with the “S” word.

1 Like

Sadly, Lucas chose one of those sides as the “good guys” and seems never to have let go of that position despite everything that’s come since the first three movies.

1 Like

In my headcanon the Jedi Order didn’t fall when Anakin betrayed them and helped implement Order 66. The Jedi fell when they found out someone gifted them a slave army and their response was “OK, works for us.” Everything that followed was just details.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to this. The Clone Wars was a solid series with real character growth. Though it did start a bit rocky. Shudder. “Snips” and “Sky Guy”.

True, although if Kenobe took the Daenerys approach and said “order #1: kill all the cloners. Order #2: you’re free to go but please come fight for me if you want to.” would have been fun, but a little dark as well.

Edit: maybe there’s an in-canon explanation that I haven’t seen, but who paid for the army anyway? Maybe the Jedi’s solution to this moral quandary they faced was to say “ok, we’ll take the slave army, but we’re definitely NOT PAYING FOR IT” and stiffing the cloners on the bill. Kinda like the “flexitarians” who will not order meat off the menu because they don’t want to encourage meat production but will go ahead and eat meat if someone serves it to them unprompted in a social setting.

1 Like

2 Likes

So Disney just teased their first actual extending, practical lightsaber (not counting the telescoping kind) but you have to go to the new space hotel in WDW to see it in person, I guess.

May the 4th be with you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.