A new study confirms what Black people already know about traffic stops

Originally published at: A new study confirms what Black people already know about traffic stops | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“…can’t as easily dismiss the claims of Black drivers, though the volunteer ‘we didn’t see the 5 minutes before the recording of police brutality’ assholes on the internet seem to be doing a surprising amount of the heavy lifting in that department!”

Traffic stops ending in violence is only the worst case scenario. Even if a driver facing aggression, humiliation and bullying by police manage to keep their cool and get away physically unscathed, they still have to carry that state-sponsored dehumanization around with them like a lead weight.

20 Likes

I guess OP has never seen Cool Hand Luke, which is what that Southpark episode is parodying.

2 Likes

What we have here is a failure to understand context.

22 Likes

“We analyzed the first 27 seconds of Floyd’s encounter with police on that day. And we found that Floyd apologizes to the officers who stand outside his car window, Floyd requests the reason for the stop, he pleads, he explains, he follows orders, he expresses fear,” she says. “Yet every response to Floyd is an order.”

From the very beginning, police officers issued commands without giving Floyd an explanation — the same linguistic signature associated with escalation in this study.

They never recognized his humanity. AT ALL. And since he was othered, their lizard brains were firmly in control from the beginning to the tragic end.

*Edited for disambiguation

16 Likes

Which puts paid to the whole “If you aren’t doing anything wrong, you don’t have anything to worry about” BS.

18 Likes

mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

12 Likes

I guess a peer-reviewed paper might help in debates with the “All Lives Matter” crowd, but this has existed for longer than any of us have been alive.

11 Likes

But how can I exercise my “Authoritah” if there is no interaction? /S
Cops are just professional bullies.

5 Likes
11 Likes

It’s really sad how The Onion struggles to stay ahead of the real world. Sarcasm is rapidly dying in a barrage of assholery.

16 Likes

‘Pereceived Disrespect of Cop’ is punishable by death in far too many places.
ACAC

2 Likes

This is key. I don’t think it’s a case of things escalating out of control somehow. I think these cops go into the encounter determined to make something happen. Either because they want to hurt a Black man or they want to bust heads in general or because they have uncontrolled rage in them, I dunno. But they’re forcing the situation from start to finish.

You see the exact same behaviour with certain types of toxic men in bars. They start talking to someone aggressively over nothing, you can see they want to fight, and they wanted to fight before the conversation ever started. They are trying to make a fight happen. The US has decided to give guns and badges to all these shitty people.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.