Cop pulls over, warns black man for driving 65 mph in a 70 mph zone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/cop-pulls-over-warns-black-ma.html

15 Likes

Ah. We’ve reached the “you ain’t seen nothin’ yet” phase of the cops’ reaction to police harassment.

36 Likes

Son do you know what I’m stopping you for?

Cause I’m young and I’m black and my hat’s real low?

Do I look like mind reader, sir, I don’t know.

Well you was doing 55 in the 54, license and registration and step out of the car…

–Jay-Z

32 Likes

That’s great mileage! I get a little over half that.

31 Likes

I have been pulled over for this. Basically it’s a cop who thinks that someone doesn’t belong. In my case, it was some Ohio redneck cop who had apparently never seen out of state plates before.

17 Likes

Two words (three?): In-car cameras.

8 Likes

Isn’t everything suspicious if you’re an ignorant racist asshat?

31 Likes

It doesn’t get more “Driving While Black” than this.

42 Likes

A friend in AA was told cops do indeed target cars going the speed limit because people with something to hide (drunk driving, drugs, warrant, etc) might be more careful to not get pulled over for speeding.

I’m not saying any of this is just, but it is common.

6 Likes

I’m not seeing a video. There’s a still image at the top of the article but no video. ???

1 Like

At least the cop didn’t murder him. That’s progress… right…?

10 Likes

Meanwhile an entitled white guy probably blew past them going 90 and changing lanes without signalling only to later roll through a stop sign while complaining in his head about protestors refusing to obey the law.

27 Likes

By this cop’s logic and reasoning literally EVERY driver over the age of 70 should be pulled over non stop.

Yeah, sure it was the speed he was traveling at that was “suspicious” to you.

4 Likes

Mr. Perry posted the video on Facebook. Here’s one duplicate of that video: https://www.wral.com/18953130/

5 Likes

Geez; I’ve been warned by family not to drive too slow through a speed trap, but I’ve never been pulled over for ignoring their advice…

1 Like

It’s supposed to be called impeding the flow of traffic. You just can’t find smart racists these days.

2 Likes

I asked a cop about this, and the conversation went something like this:

“Do cops pull cars over for going too slowly, assuming there isn’t a minimum speed limit?”
“No, we would need probable cause”
“What’s probable cause?”
“Suspicious behavior”
“Could driving below the speed limit be considered suspicious?”
“Yes”

29 Likes

“You were driving too fast.”
“You were driving too slow.”
“You were driving exactly at the speed limit…”

36 Likes

Wait…
… that cop is 15!!!