A new trailer is out for 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' reboot starring Laverne Cox

I have mixed feelings about this.

One one hand, I like my nostalgia, and I adore Tim Curry; particularly as Dr. Frank N. Furter.

On the other, Lavern Cox totally gives me life!

10 Likes

I was lucky enough to see him. There was a wonderful moment when he sang out, ā€œDonā€™t dream itā€¦ā€ and someone in the audience yelled, ā€œFUCK IT!ā€

There was a long pause while Head tried very hard not to laugh.

11 Likes

Sweet jesus, I should have Googled before responding. I somehow missed that he played Frank on the West End. AWESOME. I thought you were just dream-casting.

15 Likes

Iā€™m a bit torn on the take for Frankenfurter. I think i wouldā€™ve preferred Laverne Cox to not try to channel Tim Curryā€™s version so muchā€¦ but it might be a catch-22, change it and people will be upset, try to stay close and people will be upset. I wouldā€™ve liked to see a fresh interpretation, but iā€™ve been on board for a remake since i first heard of it and iā€™m still looking forward to it. Itā€™s hard to tell how itā€™s going to go with just a 30 second trailerā€¦

2 Likes

ugh, that does not sound like a promising story start.

1 Like

the criminologist is Ben Vereen?!

To cast a square as a square makes some sense I guess. Heā€™ll probably do just fine, but it seems so left-field.

A black actor playing Frank-n-Furter? Republicans will be outraged!

Oh wait.

11 Likes

Ben Vereen is not a square. Watch this, where he is a primary dancer, and rethink that.

4 Likes

Ooh, Ripper!

4 Likes

Why arenā€™t they doing this as one of the ā€œLive Musical Eventsā€ that have been popular on broadcast channels in recent years? This seems like a huge missed opportunity, and could have completely derailed the ā€œwhy do a remakeā€ complaints. The Grease live broadcast production was surprisingly good compared to the Sound of Music and Peter Pan snoozefests, a live broadcast Rocky Horror would have been a brilliant way to up the ante.

5 Likes

yes, and perhaps then it could have included the audience participation aspect, which is a big part of what makes Rocky Horror so magical.

3 Likes

lol, my 3rd grade music teacher had us doing a version of that song. Hadnā€™t heard it before or since.

meh, broadway musical hippie exploitation is not exactly coolā€“to meā€“but I concede your point. My concept of who Ben Vereen is was him doing the Jerry Lewis telethons and the Tony Orlando show in the 80s. It was pretty wack but I guess he was kinda locked into that scene, career-wise. In any event, it works for Dr. Scott.

ETA:

I think you two have the right idea.

1 Like

I feel like adding some of the more popular audience call-outs would take this broadcast into ā€œhard-Rā€ territory pretty quickly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yeah, theyā€™d have to do it on HBO, not FOX

Here you go:

And a better quality video, even without the fishnets:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s actually hitting where Iā€™m still getting reservations. If itā€™s FOX, I assume itā€™s a broadcast TV event. (They do still have those, right?) Iā€™m really at a loss as to how RHPS could be done correctly after it meets the TV censors. Iā€™m left with mixed feelings, for many of the reasons already discussed, but this remains my most concerning negative right now.

You had sex with Giles? You had sex with Giles? On the hood of a police car?"

Twice?!?

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to do something that I would usually berate others for - criticise without even examining the evidence.
Nope, not even going to watch the trailer for this.
Looks like a really, unbelievably bad, shitty joke version.
Besides, the RHPS has been done to death.
This looks something like flogging a dead horse, setting it on fire, parading it around town, choking it and then burying it.

No.

Just no.

Of all the things that never needed a remake . . .

1 Like