A new trailer is out for 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' reboot starring Laverne Cox

On Fox’s Glee, the in show production was “tamed down” or “positively butchered”, depending on who you ask. So I’m a bit leery.

2 Likes

Then you should be berated.

2 Likes

Whatever you like. I still ain’t watching it :stuck_out_tongue:

I throw toast at my HDTV and it just isn’t the same…

11 Likes

Pretty sure I just said, “she’s perfect” out loud while watching that trailer.

4 Likes

True, especially some of the best bits. :smile:

1 Like

I know I’ve mentioned before on this forum at some point in the distant past that after being party to many showings in Chicago I went to a small town in Rhode Island (fun fact: there are actually more towns in RI than just Providence!) with my then-boyfriend over spring break and when I heard they had a showing (at a normal time in the evening, which should have been my first clue) I insisted we go. And so we did, and sat there in silence watching the movie just like everyone else in the audience. Whoa…that was truly a bizarre experience.

7 Likes

Last Halloween, I saw a truly terrific local theatre production of Rocky Horror – their Frank was fabulous. At the beginning of the show, they came out and said “Hi everyone, because this is a really nice theater we’ve asked people not to bring toast or rice or water guns, but please feel free to shout out and dance and sing along!” but the audience was mostly middle-aged suburbanite theater-goers, and completely silent. Every once in awhile someone would meekly yell “Hey Magenta, um mumble mumble nevermind”. It was super awkward. So when Act 2 came, they had planted audience members who yelled stuff, sang, danced, etc. Before long everyone was going nuts and having a great time.

8 Likes

I have read an interview where Laverne explains that they decided to use the original language even though “transvestite” is now considered derogatory. I think the true issue was how on earth could you rewrite “I’m just a sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvania” into something that made any sense, and you are NOT going to kill that song from the production.

5 Likes

I think if anyone should decide whether they’re OK with the word “transvestite” or not, it should be a former professional drag queen.

8 Likes

My friend likes the Steve Martin ones. Mind you, he also thinks Red Dragon is a better film than Manhunter, so the balance of his mind is clearly questionable.

I saw a fun theater production in San Diego once; their Frank was also fabulous. (Of course, if your Frank is not fabulous, you’re gonna have a bad time) There was a little too much shouting out in the beginning (like, disruptively so), and he was a bit irked and let us know. So everyone behaved for a bit. Then he said the line, “It’s not a crime to give yourself over to pleasure,” and someone shouted, “It is in Utah!” He stopped, shot the person a look, paused dramatically, and said, “That was gooooood.”

7 Likes

Do people who watch the stage play call out at the (in)appropriate times?

1 Like

Oh, for fucks sake, not this again.

TRANSGENDER IS NOT AN EXCLUSIVE DESCRIPTION FOR PEOPLE WITH GENDER DYSPHORIA!

It is specifically inclusive of cross-dressers/non-sexual transvestites, and just because some trans people are still insecure about their gender identity doesn’t mean that should change.

The reason that the term is inclusive is because some people with gender dysphoria (especially older people or people in conservative environments) use cross-dressing as a way of coping until they are in a situation where they feel they can safely transition to the gender they identify as. Not including them will mean they will not get legal protection when other trans people do and that will leave them in danger.

6 Likes

You want to calm down a bit there?

Hi. I’m non-binary. I do not have any sort of dysphoria. I do consider myself transgender in the umbrella sense.

I’m of the opinion that people are transgender if they consider themselves to be, and not if they don’t. Any arguing about who is or isn’t is not constructive. (For example: my brother. Assigned female at birth. Transitioned to male. Does not consider himself “trans” now, just a regular guy with a slightly uncommon medical history.)

However, since you said this:

The reason that the term is inclusive is because some people with gender dysphoria (especially older people or people in conservative environments) use cross-dressing as a way of coping until they are in a situation where they feel they can safely transition to the gender they identify as

Perhaps my definition is “wrong” somehow but I associate “cross-dressing” with putting on clothing of a gender you don’t normally identify with. Your example isn’t cross-dressing to me, it’s just… dressing.

For Laverne Cox, who identifies as a woman, putting on womens’ clothing is not an example of cross-dressing.

1 Like

Just like what you said about being included in “trans”, I think that there isn’t much point in going beyond saying that it’s cross-dressing if the person doing it identifies it as cross-dressing. And it may be cross-dressing up to a point and then stop being that (when the former cross-dresser says to themselves, “You know what, fuck ‘cross-dressing’ I’m just dressing.”).

Which I’d say was a problem with choosing a woman to play the role if it weren’t for the fact that leather corsets are pretty outfits transgressive on anyone.

2 Likes

Sorry. You just got me snapping at the end of a stressful day/week/six months (see various comments by me in the fuck today thread). I just felt like I was explaining the same thing over and over again and making no progress.

That’s pretty much my definition at its simplest

From my perspective it is too, but from a legal perspective they may be left in danger if transgender legislation is based on a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria (or worse, surgical status). Including cross-dressing in the definition should also legally cover them until they are ready to transition and/or have GRS.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

I don’t know: I’ve never seen it live. I’ve seen it when there are live actors playing around in front of the movie screen as part of the fun, but not the actual play.

2 Likes

Really like the looks of their Riff Raff.