For the last 54 weeks, The Rocky Horror Picture Show played in this empty theater every Saturday night

Originally published at: For the last 54 weeks, The Rocky Horror Picture Show played in this empty theater every Saturday night | Boing Boing

19 Likes

I’m throwing rice, Right Now!

33 Likes

this is the correct audience size for this movie

3 Likes

always a Rocky Horror fan
was never into the whole sing-along stuff with the crowds
we just hung out in back row of the old New Yorker cinema on Yonge Street
shenanigans and weed ensued
we misbehaved
as it should be

19 Likes

Now THAT is a Wonderful Thing, and done by a Happy Mutant.

32 Likes

:Tosses toast and makes a mess: :heart:

17 Likes

haters

37 Likes

This is what I call doing the Lord’s work.

17 Likes

52 Likes

I recall hearing Rocky Horror is technically the longest running theatrical release in history-- from its initial release it has always been showing on a big screen somewhere in the US, primarily because it became a cult hit very quickly.

15 Likes

True story: My mother-in-law once took her kids to see the movie under the mistaken belief that it was the one about the man-eating plant.

31 Likes

Half right …

28 Likes

Let the party and the sounds rock on.

6 Likes

I find the crowd participation at the theater screenings to be too chaotic and it ends up giving me anxiety. Too many folks screaming different jokes at the same time. Personally i love watching it at home, ideally with friends and making snide/funny comments :slight_smile: that said i do love the community around Rocky Horror and the first time i went to a screening i had an amazing time, i even went in drag!

Would love to go to another Rocky Horror event given the chance despite my misgivings for some level of chaos from the audience, but alas i’ll never look good in a corset as i did in my early 20’s but some day i’d still like to try again

15 Likes

I don’t know if things have changed recently but 10 or 20 years ago the Clinton Street Theater’s sound system was atrocious, just awful, very very bad, distorted, not up to ordinary dialogue much less the musicals and concert films that the owners seemed to like

It was a real mystery, I wondered if the proprietor might be hard of hearing

4 Likes

tumblr_mo87xxeUP91s2zsmdo1_500|nullxnull

11 Likes

No need to hide your light under a bushel.
image|486x499

10 Likes

I used to do it in a town that didn’t do a regular weekly show and only did it one week out of the year (Flagstaff, AZ). A lot less chaotic with an audience of mostly virgins. On the other hand, a lot more of the same old riffs and not nearly as many old-timers coming up with jokes I hadn’t heard before.

5 Likes

the midnight showing didn’t tip her off?

or there was a theater that showed Rocky for a matinee?

either way, I’m equally confused.

anyway:

“‘Rocky’ has always been a place for the weird, quiet kid and the loud extrovert and the person who’s just looking for something fun to do and the theater kids and LGBTQ kids,” said Loren Thompson, the current president of the cabaret. “It’s where all the misfits come to find family.”

I suppose it’s stating the very obvious but still, truer words were never spoken. that’s a great nutshell of it’s enduring appeal.

14 Likes

Hap-shit!

4 Likes