A nuanced and thought-provoking review of the new Transformers movie

Yes, my metaphor about movie producers shitting in people’s mouths was absolutely a statement of credulity. A good catch.

When my little nephews and nieces ask to see a Transformers film, I put on Inframan (also known as Super Inframan). When they ask to see one of the Transformers sequels, I put Inframan on again. I mean, really, what’s the difference? Kids want to see a robot fight.

1 Like

Inframan is a better and more entertaining film by far.

True enough. There’s only one thing that’s misleading about the posted trailer: Not enough Princess Dragon Mom. Otherwise, it does what it says on the tin.

1 Like

I dunno if they have ever said why they look human like. So I dunno. Though I am not a huge Transformers fan, I do have a fondness for the Gen 1 ones.

1 Like

Same mystery on how Megatron and Soundwave are both giant robots, and then transform into something hand held.

2 Likes

Magic! But yeah, those were Microman robos, pretty much inducted into Transformers, like the Valkyrie from Macross and several non-Takara sourced others, like Skylynx/Omega Surprise. I made a really nerdy diagram about it.

Beyond the toy history, I’m not really a fan, either, although I do like the graphic design of their logos. (I wonder who designed those. Anyone know?)

For what it is worth: The production of the movies employ a lot of folks, both skilled and unskilled trades because so much of the work is practical effects. And is a pretty big boost to the local economies of the Detroit and Pontiac areas. I am sure there is a similar effect in other locations, so it is not like budget just gets thrown away. It actually helps many folks put food on their tables.

The movies have a right to exist.

They still are terrible movies, though.

These two ideas for most reasonable people are not contradictory.

2 Likes

Your comment seems to have nothing to do with mine. Did you intend to reply to me?

Then you haven’t understood my comment yet.

I don’t know 100%, but I am betting someone at Marvel, as IIRC they were tasked with setting up the whole character name and basic story line of Transformers. Though I could be wrong and it was someone in Japan.

I agree they are great and really like the Decepticon one.

I saw it for the first time with my dad, a bad-movie connoisseur, who basically gave me the annotated version, pointing out all the amazing mistakes as they occurred: Tor Johnson kicking over a cardboard gravestone, fishing line holding up the UFOs, the cop car driving from daylight to nighttime to daylight again as it turns corners. And explaining a little bit about who Bunny Breckenridge was (while somehow not mentioning his homosexuality). It honestly did a lot to make me appreciate the craft of terrible movies and I’ve got a fondness for Plan 9 because of it.

2 Likes

If that is the case, then frankly, it doesn’t look worth the effort.

And yet, you wasted precious effort with your complaint. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

1 Like

At least the passengers get out safely.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re just making a joke about when you were a kid, but if that’s the Optimus Prime you had, you’re lucky. That’s the anniversary Optimus Prime that is rather large and came without a trailer. It has an amazingly complex transformation that lets it look good in both vehicle AND robot mode and even a Matrix of Leadership inside. It’s awesome.

I’m a geek.

2 Likes

Red Letter Media released 2 Transformers “reviews” and some people on youtube are losing their minds lol

1 Like

I ain’t gonna even look at the comments, but that’s probably as much consideration as it deserves.

You’re really not missing out. I went through them yesterday and it’s a mix of people loving the joke and others frothing at the mouth over various dumb reasons.