A pet stain and odor eliminator that really works

Could have used several millions gallons of the stuff on the 20th.

2 Likes

You can get any quantity that you like – I usually get the 5 lb package (lasts me forever).
Odormute Home
I use the powder in the cats boxes when I use non-clumping litter – I also use it in spray mixes for accident clean-ups.
There are concentrated liquids that also work well… I use AmazonSmile: Nature’s ERADICATOR Multi-Purpose Enzyme Cleaner Concentrated quite a bit – just a wee bit works really well. I can leave a disgusting litterbox outside full of water and a bit of either the concentrated liquid or powder enzymes and after a few days there isn’t a trace of odor (one day when it is nice-n-warm, few days if it is cooler). Whatever enzymes they select, they seem to break-down ammonia and urea/uric acid quite well.
My spray mix is usually just diluted Airx RX 66 Bio-Enzymatic Foul Odor Digester with extra enzymes added.

National Stain Remover

1 Like

I am pretty sure the most important part of nature’s miracle is the orange oil.

Well that’s fair enough, but the author starts the post with “repeated rainy days” as a primary cause of not taking the dog out.

Hmmm. Looking for suggestions, and this might be a place to ask:

Problem: Previous tenants used a closet in my apt. as “the litter box room.” I’ve fabrezed the room repeatedly. Literally on the order of 1.5 - 2 L over the past year. Still smells gawd awful.

Solution?

1 Like

Febreez is a cyclodextrin. It encapsulates odor causing molecules. Enzymes speed up the breakdown of the odor causing materials. Both serve a purpose.

3 Likes

What surfaces are you hitting with Febreze?

Febreze really only works its odor-encapsulation trick on fabrics. Soak them, let it sit for ten minutes, then vacuum or shop-vac.

If you’re talking about a wood closet that’s been soaked in cat pee, all Febreze will do is cover the stink until it evaporates. You might try covering the area with charcoal and/or baking soda, letting it sit for a bit, cleaning that up and then wiping down with ammonia or vinegar.

2 Likes

As others have mentioned, you really need one of the enzyme cleaners to get rid of the stuff that is causing the smell – frebreeze just temporarily covers up the surface odors.
If it is carpet/fabric, then you probably need to soak it and extract it – carpet cleaner rental. After you suck out whatever you can, soak whatever is stinking with a warm enzyme solution and let it sit – you will probably need several applications if it is deep set. For our garage floor where our geriatric cat often missed the box and the the pads around the box, I would soak the surface and cover it with something to keep the solution from evaporating – a couple rounds of that with a thorough scrub in between cleared it up. Discovered a “problem” in a room that had an old hardwood floor under the carpeting when we were remodeling it – I took the same approach, but only let the solution sit for ~5 minutes before scrubbing the wood. That took a bit more elbow-grease and time, but it was fine after a day or two.

2 Likes

If it’s carpet, Febreze actually does a pretty good job of eliminating the issue, if you really soak the carpet and then vacuum afterwards to suck up the encapsulated molecules. They used to sell an unscented Febreze (now only available in industrial sizes for hotels) that removed odors without that “Febreze scent” lingering. It also has antibacterial qualities to kill anything nasty living in the fabric. [I worked on Febreze for 5 or 6 years back in the day]

2 Likes

Carpet is cheap, especially if it is only a closet floor’s worth. Tear out the carpet, if the subfloor is sound then clean it and paint it with a white-pigmented shellac before recarpeting. Similarly, paint the closet walls (which might have retained odors) with a stain-killing primer (like white-pigmented shellac) then repaint.

If the subfloor is damaged wood, replace it. If the subfloor is concrete, or there is stinky concrete under stinky wood, use an enzymatic cleaner on it, let it process then dry thoroughly, then hit it with the white-pigmented shellac.

If the floor is wood, you might need to refinish it. Cats are deadly on wood. Sand it down, shellac it (I’m all about the shellac, it seals in smells wonderfully), then put a coat of urethane on over that if you need the extra protection.

I have a great big ozone generator which is bad for the environment (and illegal in California), this is another option for removing odors in a small enclosed space, but shellac is more fun. Also, it gives you an excuse to buy Everclear by the gallon.

3 Likes

I would, but it’s a rental.
I know they repainted before I moved in.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.