A photo essay, studying what it means to pose nude

A med school instructor AND a model? That’s more impressive than what most people accomplish when they’re still alive!

4 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve been “clothing-optional” camping, so I wouldn’t mind posing nude. I’m just not sure I could sit still long enough.

I enjoyed the camping, but I think the woods is probably the worst place to be nude. There’s bugs. And sticks. I went topless but not very long, it was also 100 degrees out and I was too afraid of burning my jubblies.

2 Likes

Bodies naked or otherwise, are not problematic in isolation, but within the context they are found. Certainly the layers of abstraction formed around a body once it becomes an artifact creates consequences well separated from the context of origin. I always wanted to be a dancer, but it seems one can’t apply that title to themselves before the hoi polloi without the immediate association “exotic”. That is unless one has neutered themselves through emaciation, or is prepubescent. Whenever we present any part of ourselves to the minds of others we give that part up to be dealt with at their discretion. Rather we are better off if we give it up; to cling to it, is to cling to our own abdication of control. The belief that I am not my body is one I find easier to maintain when limiting my audience. This is important to me, in that it limits the impact this disturbing trend to commodify bodies has on my mental well being.

2 Likes

While it’s often a shame to be separated from people you’d like to share an experience with, I find single gendered environments much less awkward. Even in Germany there can be a fair bit of nervousness about public nakedness, but in Korea they have big segregated bathhouses where nobody cares at all. After reaching penis saturation within the first couple of minutes, it stops mattering whether people can see you and everyone is much less self conscious. Plus they have coffee and tea baths - Germany doesn’t have that.

How do you titrate for that?

There must be a published paper with the details somewhere…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.