A plane drops thousands of fish into a Utah lake in this awesome video

Do you want sharknados? Cause this is how you get sharknados.

4 Likes

Stock the lake so it has more fish.

2 Likes

I hope someone gets to call it “Operation Fry Fly”.

3 Likes

Given that aircraft N86109 is a Cessna A185F; operating weight a trifle over 3,000 pounds, I think you are going to need a smaller shark to manage that.

One wonders if anyone has an AN-225 that takes aqueous payloads. That you could work with.

2 Likes

The salmon cannon always gets my vote, relegated to dams though.

9 Likes

ah yes the United airlines of fish travel.

1 Like

Are they going to be dropping the former guy out of the plane. /s

1 Like

Picture being packed into a hot barrel for hours to get there, on top of a jostling burrow, on a narrow trail.

2 Likes

I would also suggest dropping the fish first into a silo of wheat flower… the second brigade would then fly over a huge damn filled with beaten eggs…
Bread crumbs and frying oil would be logistical nightmares, but we could run a plane over dropping off cut potatoes into the frying oil reservoir after the fish, an economy of ‘scale’…
The logistics of ‘fishing’ out the golden brown product of such a project may be expensive but a worthwhile venture… Haven’t thought through the salt and vinegar.

1 Like

That. Is. Not. A. Fish.

This is a Fish:

No idea if he’s up to being dropped like a Navy SEAL.

2 Likes

Derek Dick?

I definitely did not expect a Marillion reference to come up. Well done.

1 Like

Almost reminds me of my cross-country train trips with jostling from uneven tracks and faster-moving passing freight cars. I’d still choose that over being dropped from a plane.

2 Likes

Trouts on a plane: Utah drops fish into lakes from aircraft and circa 95% survive

[…]
Although video footage and public appreciation of fish-bombing missions is a new phenomenon, the flights themselves have been running in the early summer over the state since 1956, while more conventional forms of restocking have been utilised for even longer.

Prior to the use of aircraft, fish were carried to remote locations in metal milk cans carried by horses. Even today, fish are transported to small lakes and streams in adapted backpacks by dedicated wildlife workers on foot, on horses, on motorbikes and on four-wheelers in a practice known as extreme fish stocking.

The Utah authorities claim that nobody has ever been hit by one of their fish dumps, which is just as well since a combined load of fish and water would weigh hundreds of kilos.

This does not mean that fish have not inexplicably fallen on people at other times, however. Rains of fish and other animals have occurred throughout history, with Pliny the Elder recording storms of fish and frogs in the first century AD, although it is unlikely the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources were responsible in that case.

A hail of fish was recorded as recently as 2004 in the town of Knighton in Wales, although to be fair, that probably wasn’t the UDWR either.
[…]

4 Likes

Unless they were blown way off course…

2 Likes

The Onion is, as usual, on the ball.

5 Likes

Unlikely, considering only a single AN 225 exists.

1 Like

You would say that, with all your of fancy schmancy cognitive abilities and a wide variety of life experiences in many environments. /s

I would posit, it is really hard for us to understand how a fish experiences the world, and the the very limited frames of references it has to make sense of it.

I am sure it is stressful for them. My own (unscientific) observation of a variety of animals is that you really need the higher cognitive abilities of a mammal for a good and proper freakout.

I’ve seen fish kept in really bad tank environments (too small, bad setup, incompatible companions, etc.), so I don’t think freakouts are limited to mammals. :thinking:

1 Like

Certainly not. But the kind you would describe as “abject terror” fish mostly do not seem to exhibit.

Mammals though, sure.

About the only time I have seen a good and proper fish freakout is where I thought a fish was dead and started fileting it. Turned out it wasn’t and it had a massive freakout. Eventually! Not even right away!

Side note: Catfish are tough as nails.

Back to the discussion, a trout dropped from an airplane probably would squiggle and sort of be in the neighborhood of “this is weird, and I don’t like it”.

1 Like