A prescription excuses Elon Musk's open drug use

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/14/a-prescription-excuses-elon-musks-open-drug-use.html

2 Likes

I wonder if Don Lemon was naïve enough to take any of that “free speech absolutist“ nonsense seriously.

8 Likes

Ketamine is a class 3 controlled substance, and I suppose he might even have a prescription. But that does not change the security risk and clearance issues, I do not believe. Not my area expertise, but seriously?

9 Likes

And it even feels fishier than that to me. Isn’t ketamine prescribed for psychological issues? I can’t imagine mister “won’t go to a therapist” would go to a psychiatrist.

9 Likes

Tesla shareholders must be so relieved knowing that his drugs are prescribed by Dr. Feelgood of Silicon Valley.

9 Likes

Its most common use is as a dissociative anesthetic. Works great for kids, but adults are bothered by the hallucinations it can cause. (Kids see a pink bunny int he room and think it’s funny. Adults not so much) Has recently been used for treatment resistant depression to pretty good effect, but Musk fessing up to that? :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

It’s not a “drug,” it’s a “prescription”!

Ah, this is the drug use that isn’t drug use that free-speech absolutist Musk got so touchy about, he unilaterally canceled Lemon’s deal with Twitter over it. It’s (not at all) surprising he’s such a snowflake. (Weird, it’s like the right-wing commitment to free speech begins and ends with being a bigot…)

He didn’t have to buy into it - the interview sounds so mild, it isn’t even a question of whether anyone believed the “free speech absolutist” claim, but more whether Lemon believed Musk was actually willing to be interviewed (rather than Lemon just being brought on to produce propaganda pieces). Clearly Lemon was naive enough to think he’d at least get away with an actual interview.

7 Likes

It’s okay, he has a note from his mommy.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder; I’ve not had my fix in several years :notes:

3 Likes

The depression is what I’m thinking of. When, if ever, would a dissociative anaesthetic be prescribed for take home use?

5 Likes

Signed Epstein’s Elon’s Mom

10 Likes

In my world? That would be never. But I don’t take care of narcissistic billionaires, so YMMV.

10 Likes

Going to one is questionable, but paying one off wouldn’t be surprising.

7 Likes

Dangit, now I want more pink bunnies in my disassociated moments.

4 Likes

homer simpson GIF

5 Likes

The rich and powerful have always found ways around prohibition like how the wealthy stocked up on massive wine cellars and how Churchill got a prescription for ‘medicinal whiskey’ for his visits to the US

6 Likes

I’m a recipient rather that provider of subject matter expertise; but my understanding is that a lot of the interest(whether depression-related or ‘alternative’; I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it among the ‘nootropics’ that tech and tech adjacents of a certain flavor have a fondness for) is in sub-anesthetic doses; since those are a lot more compatible with a life that doesn’t revolve around medical visits.

The effects on treatment-resistant depression of anesthetic doses are quite intriguing; but sufficiently short lived(less than a week is apparently typical) that they are hard to justify for anything that’s not pretty dire; especially when there’s enough recreational value that if you don’t make it a big formal hassle the DEA will probably make things a big formal hassle for you.

1 Like

It seems like a predictable softball question. If Musk had a decent PR coach, he could have used it to say that the reports were exaggerated, or not true, and he has a prescription for it, done. Tesla stock might of had a bump.

I guess Galaxy Brain doesn’t need help with anything.

6 Likes

Huh. Does he stop off in the 13th district to get that script?

5 Likes