A rare green comet will pass the Earth tonight

Originally published at: A rare green comet will pass the Earth tonight | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Should we wave?

14 Likes

I have been watching this for a couple of weeks. It is barely visible with naked eye at a reasonably dark place. Binoculars or a small telescope are a must. Right now it is in a visible star desert which requires notable star hopping starting with a good finder chart. Look for it, yes, but do not expect anything like depicted in the telescopic image used for the article.

13 Likes
8 Likes

We all know how this ends,

19 Likes

The comet is expected to become visible around 6:49pm EST on Wednesday, February 1, although it may be the most visible on Sunday, February 5, when it passes by the bright star Capella, or between February 9 and 13, when it will get some shine from Mars.

The comet has been visible in the night sky for some time (but is not quite bright enough to be easily visible with the naked eye, so binoculars or a telescope will help). It will not suddenly become visible at a specific time. Nor will its proximity to Capella or Mars in the sky make it any brighter or more visible, although it may make it easier to locate in the sky.

8 Likes

Diatomic carbon? Nah, Triffids or Kryptonite. Maybe a world full of Hulks.

5 Likes

Nah, it’s clearly just a passing member of the Green Lantern Corps.

6 Likes

27 Likes

3 Likes

Oh, this week I’ll have to remember to
jack_hork1
KEEP LOOKING UP!

6 Likes

The guy on the radio said darkest sky will be just after 4am when the Moon sets, look south of the Big Dipper.

5 Likes

Wow. Just think, the last people to see this comet were the direct ancestors of Conan the Barbarian. Neat.

1 Like

They were our direct ancestors too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember the last time this thing came around, folks freaked the f out. Uka and Bral were convinced it was end times.

4 Likes

Clouds. That has nearly always been my experience.

Will it still be visible early Sunday morning?

1 Like

Depressingly accurate.

I’ve tried three nights in a row. Still haven’t seen it. Too much light in our neighborhood, the moon is out, and their are some very thin clouds. Not conducive to seeing. I’ll try again tomorrow. I’ve seen some other history comets like Hale-Bopp, but it’ll be a bummer if I can’t see Comet Loc-Nar.

4 Likes

nice!

1 Like

Jack Horkheimer, RIP

4 Likes