Comet Lovejoy reaches peak, green brightness this week. Here's how to watch

[Permalink]

1 Like

Step one: move somewhere where it’s not thirty degrees below zero!

/I know, I know: the cold air is less hazy… But if your eyeballs freeze, there’s no point.

1 Like

Lovejoy? More like Lovecraft!

Alternative: build a servo-controlled digital camera equipped telescope, and watch the stars from warmth. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Another alternative: a tent with a heater and an adapter for letting the telescope business end peek out.

[quote=“xeni, post:1, topic:49907”]Lovejoy now shines at an estimated magnitude 3.8, making it an easy target for binoculars within city limits. It is even visible as a faint, fuzzy ball of light to the naked eyes from the dark countryside.[/quote]So… does that mean “an easy target for binoculars” is a faint, fuzzy ball of light with binoculars?

It sure ain’t gonna look like Mr. Stewart’s professional photo, I reckon. Teensy bit misleading, that.

1 Like

Magnitude 3.8 not particularly bright if you’re in an urban area. Under very dark skies, you can barely see something faint and fuzzy with the naked eye.Binocular stabilized with a tripod will help a lot. Pictures show a bright green glow, but that’s not what you’ll see. It would be more like a green traffic light through some fog a mile away. But if you can see anything at all, it’s still pretty amazing to realize that you’re looking at a comet, and one that won’t be back for thousands of years.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.