A restaurant worker told a man to wear a mask, so the man shot him with a gun, say police

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/a-restaurant-worker-told-a-man.html

8 Likes

I really am not gonna get to retire that gif any time soon, am I?

SMFH

43 Likes

What the heck is wrong with people? JFC. Only in the USA.

21 Likes

Trumpist logic: “Private property is sacrosanct, until someone tells me what I can or cannot do on their private property.”

63 Likes

Though the gentleman from Colorado says it better:

“You better shut the **** up and serve me.”

3 Likes

I’ll bet this gentleman was just another one of those Responsible Gun Owners™ we hear so much about before he decided to try and murder someone who made him angry.

Gosh, it’s almost like guns give people an excuse to instantly escalate to lethal retributive behavior or something. But no, we’ve been told so often by their defenders that guns are only ever useful as a means of self-defense and never used by Responsible Gun Owners™ to intimidate others into doing their bidding, and if anyone feels intimidated by a person carrying a gun that’s the intimidated person’s fault for being so afraid of them, so that can’t possibly be it.

53 Likes

People suck

11 Likes

Concealed carry: for when you absolutely, positively have to shoot another human being because they won’t serve you waffles when you want them.

WTF America.

46 Likes

I can’t wait until the militia starts taking a knee in protest during the national anthem.

18 Likes

The Venn diagram of people like this assclown and those who support bakers who won’t make wedding cakes for gay couples is a single circle. With a bullet hole in it.

31 Likes

And the Costco guy (who fortunately didn’t shoot anyone) just said, “I woke up in a free country!” To which everyone else who saw the video wanted to respond, “and then you walked onto private property and entered a business that requires you to agree to follow their rules.”

They’ll support anything as long as it agrees with them and then they’ll turn on it the moment it doesn’t.

34 Likes

FWIW, I doubt this man was a Trump supporter. As with the Dollar Store shooting in Flint, some inner pressure other than white privilege seems to have been at work here.

1 Like

The defenders would say that the restaurant worker should also have owned a gun, because then he would be the “good guy with a gun”, stopping the “bad guy with a gun”.

(no, this isn’t how the world works, but it’s how the NRA wants the world to work – selling more guns is why the NRA exists in its current incarnation)

18 Likes

I think this is what they mean by “an armed society is a polite society.”

14 Likes

The inherent flaw of that perspective is the assumption that guns are great and everyone would want to carry one and potentially shoot someone. Or they should at least be so paranoid about violence awaiting them around every corner that a gun would make them feel safer.

And it’s at minimum unintentionally racist because it’s absurd to pretend every person of color can just walk around with a legal gun in their pocket without it being used as an excuse by police to shoot first and not bother to ask questions later as long as there isn’t internet footage available.

10 Likes

Only because their definition of “polite” is “someone who is immediately deferential to anything I tell them to do under threat of imminent violence”.

20 Likes

Precisely. The threat implicit in that glib saying is rather chilling.

11 Likes

Finding this story in other sources shows his mugshot and a description of a previous incident where he is accused of shooting at a tow truck driver who was impounding his car.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/aurora-waffle-house-shooting/73-eddec9a4-16b0-4bdd-86ce-19bf0194e876

After the shooting, officers learned Denver police were looking for Watson, who was accused of opening fire at a tow operator after his vehicle was impounded, the affidavit says.

I’m inclined to believe his motives were not based on any particular ideology.

10 Likes

Sadly, selfish assholes outnumber ALL of us, no matter the color, race or creed:

29 Likes

Not shown: the sprinkler lid popping off moments later.

35 Likes