Unmasked Walmart shopper arrested after threatening man with gun

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/unmasked-walmart-shopper-arres.html

5 Likes

Florida man…

43 Likes

When Scavetta reached toward the waistband of his shorts, Estrada reportedly told him that he didn’t care about his gun -

“Yeah, yeah, it’s Florida, we all have guns. Just put on a mask.”

Though it boggles my mind someone who wants to be prepared in one aspect, has zero preparedness in another. :confused:

39 Likes

So, telling someone “You should cover your face” is reason enough to get killed… gotcha!
Nice thinking, bud!

15 Likes

It’s likewise mind-boggling that people who make a big deal of being patriots – this guy is sporting a Stars-and-Stripes-themed T-shirt – give no shits whatsoever about their nation’s failed response to the pandemic, and the consequent suffering and costs.

43 Likes

I have repeatedly said on FB:

“A true patriot sacrifices convenience for their fellow Americans.”

24 Likes

Well, it was only a matter of time before we got the Walmart/mask/gun confrontation… surprised it took this long.

23 Likes

TIL, when in a public place don’t approach or confront others not wearing a mask, not only because it might expose me to the virus, but other bodily harms. If I feel it necessary, I’ll notify the manager of public place instead.

11 Likes

It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to understand why 99% of people think they need guns. Hunting (for food, not sport) is one thing, as is using it for protection against wildlife (preferably as a last-resort after the use of bear spray/making noise/etc). But who in the hell thinks that they need to wear a gun to go shopping?

26 Likes

All the bad guys in Quick Draw McGraw wore masks. 2020 has gotten weird,

12 Likes

I do not advocate for open or concealed carry at all. Just proposing a reason why maybe, someone who isn’t crazy might feel safer with a personal handgun while shopping.

Maybe because there are unhinged ass-holes that will also not hesitate to raise arms at the slightest real or imagined insult to their fragile self image and have only ever been taught that the way to protect your self image is by threat of, or realization of violence towards the perceived enemies. Hoping against all hope that the idea that because everyone could have a gun, its maybe better not to start trouble has entered these people’s mind.

Just one Canuk’s ideas on the issue

9 Likes

To be fair, it was at Walmart.

12 Likes

I remember when people would put on a mask in order to commit a crime :roll_eyes:

30 Likes

Well, think of it this way:
You can brandish a gun, wave it around, frighten people, maybe even kill someone.
You can not wear a mask, cough and sneeze, frighten people, maybe even kill someone.

The math checks out.

24 Likes

I was trying to leave a little bit of leeway by saying 99% instead of 100% but I see what you are getting at - thank you for this perspective. I just hate that it’s come to this: treating the symptoms (“I feel threatened so need to carry a gun to protect muh freedums”) vs the underlying cause (widespread, inconsistently regulated access to guns has created this toxic culture which is self-fulfilling).

11 Likes

Scared adult-children raised on too many stories of rugged individualism and Dirty Harry style action flicks.

13 Likes

Cowards.

22 Likes
15 Likes

Some terrible people seem to think so.

12 Likes

Gotta be a fake! Where is his MAGA hat?

1 Like