Man shoots and kills grocery store clerk in "dispute" over mask

Originally published at: Man shoots and kills grocery store clerk in "dispute" over mask | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It just never seems to end…

62 Likes

Firearms in the hand of science-denying idiots. td;dr: Murika!

49 Likes

“An armed society is a polite society.”

(/s, but the s is getting harder and harder to muster every day.)

40 Likes

Can anyone clarify what “dispute over facemask” means?

Customer was upset that Store Clerk was wearing a mask?
Customer was upset that Store Clerk was not wearing a mask?
Customer was upset that Store Clerk asked him to wear a mask?
Customer was trying to buy a mask, and upset over the selection and/or price?

The article is rather vague on the nature of the “dispute”.

Just want to know what I need to watch out for when I return to society.

14 Likes

The article mentions that the argument was about “his mask,” so my guess without further information is that he wasn’t wearing one or was wearing it under the nose or on the chin. He left the store without completing the purchase, which may indicate the cashier refused to finish the transaction until he masked up properly. All of this is speculation though.

19 Likes

“I need my guns to protect myself from the poor employees of private corporations enforcing their policies against my disinclination to heed public safety in favor of my own stupid, selfish opinion that I deem as valid as any peer-reviewed science.”

59 Likes

Meanwhile, in Iowa,

16 Likes

The pandemic has really brought out the worst in some people. At a time when humanity should be coming together to overcome this crisis, we instead continue to see humanity at its worst…

27 Likes

I wonder how he’d feel about getting shot wherever he works.

He’d probably not expect it, seeing as he obviously doesn’t work with the pubic, seeing how he treated the cashier.

10 Likes

I think we all know what the reason was. (Although the details are sketchy at this time I think we can fill in the blanks given past precedent.)

It’s also worth noting Decatur has an ongoing mask mandate in effect.

26 Likes

I keep having to remind myself that The News is the worst stuff that happened today.

There’s plenty of good stuff that’s emerged, and I can see it in my neighbourhood.

14 Likes

But according to the fearmongering “news” outlets, and the preacher he sees in church twice a year, it is not only his right, but his responsibility to personally deal with anyone trying to suppress (what he’s told are) his rights,
by any means necessary.
The pandemic is just an excuse. He feels empowered to kill by the Trump train that hasn’t gone off the tracks, despite the conductor getting fired.

12 Likes

When I read stories like this, all I see are people who own handguns, using them as instructed by every conservative media outlet and gun lobby group in the country. Freedumb.

21 Likes

Now you’re getting to the root of the problem. Mask mandates kill!

7 Likes

At least we have a well armed militia.

9 Likes

Ignoring the fact it’s from the NY Post, there’s significantly more information here than in other articles I’ve found (abridged for succinctness):

[The] worker asked Victor Tucker Jr., 30, to mask up due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Tucker refused and got into an argument with the woman before leaving the store without making a purchase

The suspect then barged back inside and allegedly shot her in the head

So, it’s exactly what we all assumed it was: first degree murder.

45 Likes

anybody know if the cashier was black?

3 Likes

gun_fatalities will be proportional to available gun_density. that’s a bloody obvious social statistic which has been shown time and time again. so politicians, if you suck up to the lobbyists and loosen whatever gun laws remain then you will kill your electorate (perhaps you simply don’t care if the gerrymandering is particularly piquant?) it’s barking insane - and the majority of Americans know this.

12 Likes

What kind of person gets SO angry about wearing a mask that they decide to KILL somebody? I mean I can imagine being so brainwashed that I believed that COVID was a hoax and masks were stupid. But how the FUCK does that justify murder?

30 Likes