Man shoots and kills grocery store clerk in "dispute" over mask

48 Likes

74 Likes

Meanwhile.

10 Likes

Also: Good guy with a gun!

(…Who failed to stop the guy from murdering his target and only survived himself because he was wearing a bulletproof vest.)

17 Likes

Oddly, the wording is “well regulated”, not “well armed”.

Might be time to pause and reflect how that’s working out.

9 Likes

FUCKING TAKE ALL THE GUNS AWAY RIGHT NOW.

I’m sick and tired of this bullshit “Liberals don’t ant to take your guns away”. I don’t speak for all liberals, but I WANT TO TAKE YOUR FUCKING GUNS AWAY YOU MURDERING ASSHOLES.

It’s possible to be a responsible gun owner, but the risk of not being responsible for 5 minutes is too great.

25 Likes

You gotta show that woman who is boss. And she didn’t even have a gun with her, so she deserves whatever she got. Gun violence victims are the real criminals – after all an armed society is a polite society, so unarmed people are the cause of violence.

12 Likes

Deplorable are going to deplore.

5 Likes

I wonder, when he is sitting in prison for the rest of his life, if he will think it was all worth it? Over a fucking mask.

1 Like

At least he won’t have to waste his time shopping for groceries anymore.

4 Likes

Probably second degree as it was not premeditated, right?
Unless going out of the store to your car to get your gun and coming back in is premeditated.
Which it is, but I don’t know that legal premeditation is usually measured in 30 seconds or whatever

Yeah, it is. This is literally a textbook example - this is exactly the situation used in discussions to explain what “premeditation” means - someone going out to get a gun out of a vehicle. A few seconds is all that’s required in terms of time. If the weapon had been something with a potential alternate use, he might have a defense, but it’s a gun, with which he immediately executed someone and shot others, so it’s as perfect an example of premeditated murder as you could hope to find.

47 Likes

While there is no hard and fast rule about time limits for what is premeditation vs heat of the moment, consider this: he had enough time to leave the place of business, get a gun, come back, and use it to kill. This wasn’t done in the heat of the moment, wasn’t an accident, and there was no imminent danger to himself or others. There were many opportunities to not murder that woman and he chose not to take them. He deliberately came back and killed her. This seems like textbook premeditation to me.

32 Likes

In the end, it will fall on the jury to make that distinction, but there is little reason to believe that he did not have time to think about what he was about to do, and that’s all the time that matters. His defense team will have a hard time selling the heat of the moment explanation, but they will surely try.

6 Likes

Wondering what her friends and relatives are thinking of him.

Wondering what his friends and relatives are thinking of him.

4 Likes

The cases are incorrectly cited-- but

https://open.lib.umn.edu/criminallaw/chapter/9-3-first-degree-murder/

Most jurisdictions agree that an extended period of time is not a requirement of premeditation (Commonwealth v. Carroll, 2010). Thus a murder can be premeditated and first degree even if it is conceived only moments before the actual killing (State v. Schrader, 2010). Some jurisdictions do not require any appreciable time lapse between the formation of intent and the criminal act (State v. Snowden, 2010).

here are the corrected cites:
State v. Schrader , 302 SE 2d 70 (1982)

State v. Snowden , 313 P.2d 706 (1957)

Commonwealth v. Carroll, 412 Pa. 525 (1963),

7 Likes

I imagine it helps if you’re so deep into conspiracy theories that you think anyone pro-mask is a pedophile 5G lizard person government agent who wants to shrink your penis and drink the blood of babies, or whatever the fuck nonsense they eat up. I don’t have proof that’s what happened in this case, of course, but people are being radicalized by Qanon bullshit just as dangerously as any other terrorist organization’s propaganda.

8 Likes

Customer was upset the cashier told him to pull his mask up over his nose.

That’s not a joke. That’s why the cashier is dead.

To be clear, it’s not about the mask. The guy with the gun shot the cashier for being a presumed Democrat and voter for Biden. Mask enforcement is just how the “Pro-Lifers” identify which side of the political aisle you stand on. If you’re going to argue for science, then you’re anti-trump, and that’s justifiable homicide in some people’s eyes.

13 Likes

(Forty replies. Not much about the victim.

No one working as a supermarket cashier should ever need to fear for their lives.)

20 Likes

ok , i quit !! smoking lamp is lit !! grog on the main deck , rum in the officer’s mess !! i do not care what time it is !! , well , not what clock time it is , or when the sun is over the yardarm !! time to medicate and meditate in the park !! and time to study my 3d printer upgrade directions !!
condolences to the victim’s family and friends
Yis’ga’dal v’yis’kadash sh’may ra’bbo, b’olmo dee’vro chir’usay v’yamlich malchu’say, b’chayaychon uv’yomay’chon uv’chayay d’chol bais Yisroel, ba’agolo u’viz’man koriv; v’imru Omein.

3 Likes