A review of Starbucks' fancy $80 mug

Right? Eighty bucks would be a bargain!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, most of these I’ve seen seem to be unable to keep temperatures high enough to maintain drinkability. I might be a “too hot” coffee drinker, but I like my coffee at 145-155 degrees Fahrenheit. Has anyone seen any that go that high?

I got one of these things for Christmas, and on balance I like it. I go through my first couple of cups of coffee long before temperature becomes an issue, but I like to nurse the last few and a warmer helps facilitate that. Plus, it’s just nicer to drink from an open mug than a travel mug (in my opinion).

Dave’s review got most of the issues right:

• It’s small
  • It’s battery is tiny
  • It’s hard to wash
  • It’s expensive

I notice two additional issues that drive me crazy:

1. It’s max temp is only 145 degrees Fahrenheit, and I prefer my coffee hotter - 145-155 degrees. It’s “hot enough” at the top end, but not ideal, meanwhile it’s draining battery like crazy, leading to my second point…
  2. The battery will still die when the mug is on the saucer and charging. How did you create this product without enough juice to keep it running in perpetuity???

I’m annoyed enough by the second issue to consider looking into the circuitry to see if it can tolerate more amps (and thus charge faster). Will have to see…

1 Like

When did Starbucks become Sharper Image?

Yup. This is what I was going to say. You can get a Yeti mug for less than half the price of this over-engineered joke, it holds up to four times as much liquid, and it will keep things hot or cold for a heck of a lot longer than one hour.

I just need a knife to complete the trifecta of murderous coffee mugs.

3 Likes

I have a mug that will keep your beer at Room Temperature, a bargain at $45!

Check or Money Order, NO COD.

2 Likes

how does it know??!?

4 Likes

Looks like you were testing the knucks, from those glue lines xD…

Convection, comrade?

Got you covered.

But don’t burn your lips whistling my tune. Try it yourself. And thank Mr. Dewar afterward, not those idiots printing “PCT pat. pend.” on the bottom of their tea glasses.

1 Like

Indeed. I took my caffeine defense a little too far.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.