A robot that walks like an ostrich designed to “be the standard for legged autonomy”

If the goal is to decide whether or not to send a human, wouldn’t flying micro drones be the best bet?

Chickenwalker mech. Shoot for the knees and hips.

3 Likes

This thing probably looks pretty silly when it poops.

4 Likes

I always used to think they were backwards knees but they are actually normal ankles above really long feet.

17 Likes

Clan raid! Get the urbanmechs!

https://atlashunters.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/urbanmech-um-r63-unofficial_by-ironhawk.jpg

3 Likes

I couldn’t play that game. I’d be like, “OMG OMG stop shooting! Look at these fossils! No one step on the fossils!”

7 Likes

Well, it does look like it needs to. Real. Bad.

3 Likes

Jesus - they kick it in the video. These things are going to see videos of this in the future! At least put up a big sign that says, “STABILITY TEST”

4 Likes

In that case I’d like to see that thing try to sit in an office chair.

2 Likes

Where’s the pop-up timer?

1 Like

No doubt flying is most mobile, still I cannot help but be impressed. Ostrich boy is hanging with cycle boys in the only place where the cycle boys can operate at 20 mph… 50’ to the left or right and Ostrich boy has the advantage with same power source (food and an O2) an cycle boys have the advantage of being able to sweat…

6 Likes

Terrible? It’s Charlie Sheen’s best work!

4 Likes

Metal?.. Gear??

2 Likes

Why not a cassowary, if it’s going to be called Cassie?

OK… found this:

“Cassie” is the first offering from new startup Agility Robotics, spun out of the lab of Oregon State University’s Jonathan Hurst, who is a longtime collaborator of Grizzle’s. It is loosely modeled on the cassowary, a flightless bird similar to an ostrich—legs with backward-facing knees attached to a short torso that holds batteries, motors and a pair of computers.

And funnily enough I own that Charlie Sheen movie on VHS and was just thinking about it the other day. I enjoy watching certain bad movies.

8 Likes

Robo-cassowary needs better talons.

6 Likes

It walks like a drunk girl in new heels.

5 Likes

Come on. That title obviously belongs to the Hot Shots movies.

2 Likes

Not Major League?

For me I enjoy watching Hot Shots 1 & 2 more than Major League. But the latter is still pretty enjoyable :slight_smile: I’d say either series are his better works.

1 Like