A school board continues to ban Pride flags by calling them "political"

A close friend of mine was one of very few scholarship kids at a very elite elementary school in NYC. She was pretty grateful that she could basically kit herself out for free from the lost and found. Obviously we should find far better and deeper ways to correct for inequality, especially ones that don’t destroy expression, but when you’re scrapping for crumbs of live-ability under current conditions, that does feel like something. Of course, it was pretty noticeable that she stayed behind during every holiday break to work on the yearbook while everyone else went on the annual ski trip.

3 Likes

But… how will they know to shut up and listen to the boss if we don’t start that in school! /s

bored pink floyd GIF by hoppip

11 Likes

It was about that age I realised the game was rigged but that’s a different story…

It’s in the name. Uniform.

13 Likes

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

11 Likes

Probably more accurate.

Yes, we have the same counterargument here when someone rarely proposes abolishing uniform.

I believe that roughly the same argument comes up at your end with the daily Pledge, no?

Conservatives are just doing everything they can to encourage young people to join their cause, thereby ensuring the future sustainability of their movement. /s.

1 Like

Ridiculous. There are LGBTQ+ Republicans. Hell, Kaitlyn Jenner ran as a Republican. There are LGBTQ+ apolitical people. Pride flags are not inherently political. They are a sign of acceptance and equal rights that should transcend politics because it includes a large spectrum of people of all politics.

2 Likes

Sure. It’s performative bullshit. But…

parks and recreation whats your point GIF

Do you think I’m saying that’s okay and uniforms are not? Do you think I wouldn’t believe both are pointless exercises in enforced conformity? :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Not proven.

9 Likes

How is a pride flag partisan? Are you saying that the LGBTQ+ community is strictly left-wing? Because if you are, you are sadly mistaken.

In any event, Republicans are supposed to be for personal freedoms and small government which makes all this recent micromanagement of people’s lives by using the power of government quite hypocritical.

And what if some other students show up with their own non-political straight pride flag ?

The pride flag movement is inclusive, while these right-led counter-movements are strictly exclusionary. Surely this can’t be too hard to comprehend. Not everything has a legitimate “both sides” argument.

Again, no. Pride is about love, homophobia is about hate. Surely you don’t want hateful values being taught to children to preserve some kind of impartiality? If that’s the case you should be perfectly fine with schools teaching critical race theory? (Which isn’t actually something that’s done, no matter how much the right wing media tries to say it is.)

15 Likes

Friend, I agree with everything you said. I am describing what the school board erroneously thinks.

“The city is a partnership for living well.” ~ from an English translation of Politics by Aristotle [who coined the word (as many likely already know, but I just don’t want to assume)]

Or, to quote the modern corollary by Carol Hanish, “the personal is political.”

8 Likes

English is not my native language. Maybe I wrote an ambiguous comment. But I made it very clear here: I am against the school board position and in favor of LGBTQ+ policies.

3 Likes

The fact that a lot of conservatives seem to view a pride flag or a “Black lives matter” sign as a direct counterpart to, say, a Trump flag, is… instructive.

13 Likes

I don’t think this is correct. Trump is actually pro-pride, from what I’ve read. Instead of a Trump flag, I think they view a crucifix as a direct counterpart, since their religious beliefs are in direct opposition to gay pride. So, for them, if gay pride flags are allowed by teachers, then religious imagery should be allowed too. That’s the real argument.

17 Likes

He’s an arrogant, egotistical prick if that’s what you meant but he sure as fuck isn’t on the side of any gay or trans folk.

19 Likes

Quick refresher:

Also take note this is a list of things he did, not just said

19 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

14 Likes