A secret Finnish subculture of women and girls who ride hobbyhorses has come out of the shadows

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/21/hobbyhorse-revolution.html

8 Likes

This is really cute. I can imagine worse ways to spend your time.

24 Likes

edit: never mind; I clicked through and saw who we’re talking about

1 Like

I hope they don’t emerge from the shadows all at the same time, because honestly, that would spook me, and I’m one tough customer.

20 Likes

more like a secret beginning.

Fresh air, exercise, friendship and mentoring. All good.

25 Likes

[angrily] “Go have fun with a Finn!” (John Cleese as Basil Fawlty of Fawlty Towers)

4 Likes

We need to put a stop to this kind of wholesome fun right away, lest it encourage other insidious maladaptive behaviors like listening to one another, and mutual respect. Get those girls back inside immediately, clamp their eyelids open, and force them to watch the last four Eli Roth movies. That’ll learn ‘em.

/s

edited for phrasing

18 Likes

Thirty abreast and a hundred times deep, marching in synch down one’s street one morning. Anything emerging that way out of the blue would give me considerable pause. What do they want? What will they do? :slight_smile:

9 Likes
8 Likes

Hay ladies…

8 Likes

I recall watching a portion of that film on TV many years ago. What I saw came off as subtly eerie. I’ll have to look into it again.

Anything that gets the young out of the house, happily exercising, cavorting in physical competition, and exchanging ideas – face to face – with others is great.

9 Likes

It’s basically a pre-Twilight Zone, B- Twilight Zone episode.

The short story’s quicker, but it’s not as ookie-spookie as something like the Monkey’s Paw.

2 Likes
13 Likes

(To think that I have lived to see the day when one need only google “My Little Pony Gangnam Style” to be presented with numerous variations on the theme.)

12 Likes
6 Likes

The girls are alright.

6 Likes

12 Likes

I’ll just leave this My Little Pony song by a singer who has collaborated with Psy here.

2 Likes