A sheepdog from Georgia killed eight coyotes to defend his flock

Originally published at: A sheepdog from Georgia killed eight coyotes to defend his flock | Boing Boing

9 Likes

morning-ralph-time-out

21 Likes

Damn. Sam Sheepdog took his responsibilities seriously whenever he was on the clock but that really seems like overkill.

And how did you not include any links or screen shots of the cartoon that you’re so clearly referencing?

10 Likes

I appreciate that he left something for us commenters to do.

16 Likes

Sheepdogs have Twitter accounts?

27 Likes

A Great Pyrenees indeed.

29 Likes

Good Boy Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

27 Likes

And then he melted, from the look of it. Good dog though.

7 Likes

Dramatization of how the fight went down:

8 Likes

OH man, good/lucky dog! A pack of coyotes can take down lots of different animals.

My dad’s bush dog he brought from Alaska to Kansas he thinks got killed by coyotes. The dog hated coyotes and one day he went out and didn’t come back. He looked for him but never found him. If he had been hit by a car or something he or the neighbors should have found him. :frowning:

8 Likes

6 Likes

A dog having a Twitter account? Of course not, he’s on Mastodon these days.

12 Likes

I’m a bit surprised that coyotes would be that persistent. Fighting for a half hour and 8 dead doesn’t seem in line with the lightweight predator/opportunistic scavenger MO.

6 Likes

He was just doing what he was breed to do. Nothing weird about this news.

6 Likes

That happened in DECATUR!?! Fuck, the coyotes are getting bold!

For people who aren’t familiar, Decatur is outside the city limits of ATL, but is inside the perimeter (ITP) - so not a “rural” part of GA at all, but very urban. I have a friend who lives on the north end of Decatur, and she says they see coyotes all the time in her neighborhood.

12 Likes

They certainly can be bold. Last Friday in Los Angeles a coyote attacked a 2-year-old girl in her front yard in the middle of the day and was dragging her away before her dad ran up and saved her. Pretty scary doorbell camera footage of the incident is all over the news here. Back in April another coyote attacked a toddler at Huntington Beach right next to a popular pier.

That said, for now kids are statistically at much greater risk of being attacked by dogs.

12 Likes

Well, that’s awful! I’m glad the dad got there in time!

6 Likes

This happened close to where I live. What the article leaves out is there were two dogs. The female backed all the sheep into a corner and stood in front of them while the other dog took care of business.

20 Likes

Go Team Dogs GIF by chuber channel

21 Likes

wait, this is a metaphor for Warnock’s victory, right?

6 Likes