A "skulk of foxes," a "superfluity of nuns," a "business of ferrets" and other weird collective nouns

Originally published at: A "skulk of foxes," a "superfluity of nuns," a "business of ferrets" and other weird collective nouns | Boing Boing

9 Likes

… not @beschizza I see :disappointed:

4 Likes

OK, so a group of gays is called a GAGGLE of gays.

And a group of lesbians is called a CONSENSUS of lesbians.

(can’t speake to the collective nouns for bi, trans, or queers)

But a group of LGBTQs is, of course, a PRIDE.

11 Likes

I’m currently human scenery in an opera, and when I looked I found no collective noun for a group of supernumeraries… I feel like there’s an opportunity here, but I’m not sure how to capitalize on it, let alone what direction to go.

4 Likes

Etymologically, I feel like it should be a surplus of supernumeraries, but that doesn’t seem quite fair.

A crowd scene of supernumeraries? A background?

7 Likes

The late James Lipton, the guy who hosted The Actor’s Studio, also wrote a book titled An Exaltation of Larks, which is one long collection of group names, both “real” and ones that he made up himself. (He did a whole bunch of other things too, the man lived a long and interesting life.)

8 Likes

Is it a “clog” of Republicans in congress or a “blockage”?

8 Likes

Surely you mean a “grist of bees”?

2 Likes

Is there a collective noun for hermits?

10 Likes

You do have to watch out for moody birds.

10 Likes

My favourite variation on the above is a persistence of zombies. That tickles all my buttons.

15 Likes

Surely this would be a disappointment of hermits?

Well, either that or a herman:

9 Likes

A collage of background artists?

7 Likes

A chorus?

5 Likes

It’s perfect because there are never enough!

5 Likes

Superfluity is a scathingly good collective noun for nuns, though I’d put it to the priests first unless they have a better one that refers to their more harmful proclivities.

I mean if I had any nuns at all I’d think of them as superfluous, even just one nun.

3 Likes

Well, a “collage of faculty” works. As does a “dysfunction of deans” and a “slouch of chairs.”

4 Likes

i-beg-your-pardon-what-did-you-say

9 Likes

I spotted “A Caper Of Mutants”.

That’s the winner for me.

15 Likes

You Got It Wink GIF by CBS

8 Likes