A space-saving TV that costs more than the average American annual income

Originally published at: A space-saving TV that costs more than the average American annual income | Boing Boing

2 Likes

For $98k you can just buy a separate entertainment cottage

20 Likes

I wonder if their TVs still come with this lovely extra feature:

10 Likes

The room in the picture looks likes it was furnished from IKEA. Maybe they spent all the money on the TV.

5 Likes

Haha, no, that’s for the poors.

2 Likes

♬ You can’t dress trashy till you spend a lot of money ♫

6 Likes

But when it is rolled down it still takes up floor space and obstructs your room. It would be better to mount it to the ceiling so that it rolls down when you want to watch. It’s just too bad there isn’t some cheaper technology that allows you to have your TV screen roll down from the ceiling…

9 Likes

The chair is an Eames chair. Expensive, if you buy the original, cheaper if you buy a knockoff.

Still, Ikea has been sued for copying other designers, so they may not have the appetite to make a clone.

The view outside his windows looks pricy-- though nothing floor to ceiling OLEDs can’t mimic.

The room looks cold. It really needs one of these.

3 Likes

$98k isn’t even a down payment in California anymores.

9 Likes

I think this TV is really positioned as a second TV for the office, or den. Maybe your 2 million dollar home theater isn’t attached to your new york apartment, but instead is located at one of your other properties. How will you watch TV? All the available wall space iis occupied by fine art.

2 Likes

1% of this country thinks that TV is 98 cents.

Because our tax money is in their pockets.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Peasants. Just have your servants bring in a TV when you want to watch it.

3 Likes

Confused Arrested Development GIF

6 Likes

Last TV I bought was $280 for a 4k 55 inch roku. It replaced the 43 inch dumb TV that somehow fried while the power company was doing “some work”

For a couple of orders of magnitude less, one can get a 75" Samsung “Frame” TV that – when ‘off’ – displays artwork… the picture on your wall… you know… effectively out of the way.

It’s stupid that they’re trying to sell this now, because the market that can afford it is tiny. It’s worth developing the underlying technology, though; I could see big retractable screens being everywhere in ten years.

the last tv i bought was $35. and it’s not a bad flat screen at that.

i bargained the previous owner down because of the missing remote granted. and since it would double the effective price to replace the remote, i haven’t bothered.

but i could. i really could

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled88zxpua-signature-oled-8k-tv

bigger, higher resolution. save 70 grand.