Televisions that are too high up

Originally published at: Televisions that are too high up | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Remember when TVs used to be too low? (I guess cuz they were just so dang heavy it would be hazardous to have them higher up often) I have an antique console that I still watch sometimes but like to sit on the floor with my back against the couch when I watch it.

48 Likes

Call me old, but it literally boggles my mind why someone thinks they need a TV that big. Particularly in a small room.

5 Likes

I thought that there was a massive coffee stain on the carpet; but, looking again, I think it is some sort of a pelt.

11 Likes

My new favorite home decoration mystery: The Mystery Of The Elevated 90s Rear Projection TV.

44 Likes

So I can see it.

I have 3 sets of glasses, one pair of progressive lenses for everyday, one pair of computer glasses for reading and working at the computer, and one pair of single distance for watching tv or when I go to a show.

The 55" in my bedroom and living room along with my glasses allow me to see what’s on.

Oh, and because I want a big screen.

15 Likes

Reminds me of that guy who used to run for office in New York all the time.

25 Likes

I inherited a TV like that from an elderly relative some time back in the late '80s; when it died I found that it made a great stand for the new TV I bought to replace it.

12 Likes

Oh good god, someone’s gonna die. Those things were HEAVY.

13 Likes

Cbs Fbi GIF by Wolf Entertainment

15 Likes

I just thought about it… and the Simpsons’ family TV is still a big floor sitting CRT model. I know there was an episode in the past about having to find a new one to replace it when it got broken, but that was back when TV’s were all still CRT.

Annnnnd I decided to fact check my own comment before posting and it turns out they has been replaced it with a flatscreen wall mounted TV since 2009 when the show went HD in S10E20. It’s not explained in episode, but the new TV is part of the couch gag.

Just goes to show how much I paid attention to the later seasons of the show!

11 Likes

Our working TV used to sit on top of our broken TV.

6 Likes

There exist many how to videos to solve this conundrum.

1 Like

It’s the tv on the angled wall that baffles me. It doesn’t need to be that way - there are mounts. You can’t see flat screens that well at an angle. I mean, maybe it’s intended to be viewed by someone sitting at the ground, peering up, and that’s the way they like it, but…

9 Likes

Is the couch for spectators?

7 Likes

And arching above it, the ceiling of the Sickening Chapel!

6 Likes

There is a solution for that, an adjustable drop down mount, but it’s expensive.

7 Likes

It’s where you sit when you want the 90s TV Of Damocles hanging over your head. I just hope that crossbeam’s solid.

10 Likes

Related: https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooSmall/ :smiley:

4 Likes

THANK YOU this thread really saved me from making a very costly mistake with my TV (I was going to build a frame with a $2000 dielectric mirror to conceal my TV over my fireplace mantle, 2x the cost of my TV.) I have now decided that I just need to own the fact that I have an ugly black box in the center of my wall that provides The Entertainment.

10 Likes