Televisions that are too high up

It’s all part of the mystery! Who painted this masterpiece? Who thought this was a good idea? Why are the columns royal purple? What sort of deranged snuggle nook’s up those stairs? Can the new owners ever safely get a 500 lb. rear projection TV down from there? The more you look, the more questions there are!

16 Likes

There are still a few people that fix those old tube TVs but they are becoming a rare and dying breed. If you do wanna restore a CRT television I’d recommend anyone do it very soon before the people with the skills literally die out. :frowning: I am living in Los Angeles and after a bit of searching found a guy in Orange County.

3 Likes

I was watching Mary tyler moore show and there was an episode where Rhoda redecorated Lou’s house. His small newer 1970s portable TV was sitting on top of his older floor model. I think it’s been a thing for a long time. in my case my flatscreen is wall mounted above the old one. I actually researched via google how high to mount it. I may have fudge it up a little but not too high. Ha. (I cleared off some junk for the last photo. Ha)

11 Likes

TVs in hospital rooms are always up near the ceiling

7 Likes

Jeez amongst other feelings i’m experiencing at this moment, the Californian in me hopes this room isn’t in earthquake country.

14 Likes

Those things evolved from old radios that were also big and heavy

and at first the screens were very small

4 Likes

Exactly. I get joshed about my big TV but the simple fact is when I had a smaller TV I tended to watch things on my computer – which granted is a smaller screen but I’m closer to it. My prescription is -10 which may explain that.

3 Likes

Got you beat! I also have a pair of tiny round-lensed “John Lennon” glasses for wearing in VR, plus all the ones you mentioned (and a pair of progressive sunglasses to boot). I am in a weird situation though; I have artificial lenses in both eyes - right focused for close up and left for distance. So while I can get by in most situations, if I want to see clearly in stereo I need glasses with different prescriptions for each eye. Optometrists love me.

8 Likes

That is… fascinating. So many questions. Is that a window above the loft area, or some kind of projection screen? What is the statuary above the stairs, and why? What is coiled beneath the stairs? Is the cable from the rear projection TV really snaking across open air over to the niche next to the fireplace? What is that hole in the pillar above the odd shelf? etc. etc.

This is like some Roccoco Bozo decorating style.

4 Likes
1 Like

I think that’s a bed in the foreground. My bedroom’s somewhat similar in dimensions and the bed is positioned against the same wall. I’ve often thought of mounting a flatscreen about where that TV is so we could watch it comfortably while lying in bed. The TV is located in a pretty good place for that use.

The viewing angle is going to suck, but I don’t see how they could do anything about that with this monster positioned where it is.

And sports bars, but neither place is great for watching TV.

6 Likes

Is a mirror that much more attractive?

Chromecast has a built in picture viewer that plays automatically by default. You can also customize with your own pictures/galleries for it to scroll through.

YouTube is fantastic for building playlists of stuff to watch in the background when you want quiet or when listening to music. Old goofy japanese sci-fi, animation, Jaques Cousteau, travel videos like bullet trains, NASA ISS feeds… etc.

Maybe paint the wall a dark color to lessen the black box effect?

1 Like

Depends what’s opposite of it, I suppose

9 Likes

In a sports bar it makes sense to put the TV above head height because that’s the only way to make sure there aren’t a bunch of people blocking the view.

9 Likes

And in hospitals they need to keep the TVs out of the way of everything that happens in the room. At least there is the benefit of a bed that reclines to a decent angle and isn’t nearly as uncomfortable as sitting on a sofa watching a TV above the mantle where the neck does all the work.

6 Likes

or just hang a decorative cloth over the TV when we’re not watching it

3 Likes

Ooooohhhh! Remember when movie theaters still used curtains?

curtain GIF

13 Likes

OOkl

10 Likes

It’s just gone eight o’clock, and time for the penguin on top of your television to explode.

9 Likes