Televisions that are too high up

…but at that angle, the first TV shown actually isn’t high enough…

2 Likes

Reddit thread also posted the RE listing for the purple monstrosity. 6561 Shady Side Road, Shady Side, MD 20764 US

I feel like I need a bath after looking at it; it gives off a Will Farrell / Rachel Dratch “Lovers” skit vibe.

4 Likes

This is me at my Grandma’s house. Sitting 2’ from the TV console, butt on the floor, back to the side of the davenport. Watching MTV with my cousins.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Mine is on an old buffet from my grandma and pretty much eye level.

1 Like

Or get my shower curtain to cover it!

2 Likes

When I first went to the eye doctor because the over the counter reading glasses weren’t cutting anymore he asked my wife which one of us drove, he couldn’t believe how bad they were but I did learn our eyes will compensate for one eye being weaker than the other.

I run a lot and my glasses fog up this time of year. I need to see ahead and my watch. The doctor suggested contacts, one eye for distance and one eye for up close.

I passed because it sounded complicated but the doctor assured me I could get used to it. I wish I could try it without investing any money.

4 Likes

You probably can? At least my eye doctor gave me two weeks worth of contact lens samples to try out. You can try them out and see if they work for you or not before ordering more.

Heck, depending how often you need them, you can make your samples last awhile. Even though they says 'disposable" these things are basically the same things I used to wear for years at a time with daily cleaning (probably too long, but that is another story). If you properly clean and store you can wear them for longer than a day. I only wear mine for cosplay and maybe a show. But I am not doing either of those right now so…

7 Likes

It definitely does take some getting used to, since the difference in focal length basically gives you double vision and your brain eventually learns to disregard the non useful blurry image and just go with the clear one while still using the blurry to get some depth perception. Not sure if it would be worth the hassle of adjusting and also putting in contacts just to go running, but as Mister44 said you might be able to get a couple of weeks of free trials from your eye doctor to give it a shot. Before I went ahead and just got the tiny glasses for VR my optometrist gave me a couple of boxes of trial contacts to use. I don’t do well with contacts though (dry eyes) and decided to just go with the little glasses

5 Likes

They revived it? Didn’t it end in like season 8?

2 Likes

Wow. That is one deranged house. Like someone took 3 houses, all the wood from a dozen saunas, and a museum’s worth of questionable art, shook it all up, and dumped it out.

8 Likes

Ooh, on the top right are those the tv controls, or did it have built in stereo components?

1 Like

Beige tile, on which they’ve carefully positioned the animal pelt (whether real or fake, the point is that it’s animal-shaped).

2 Likes

My friends came up with a solution for their 10’ x 8’ living room (it’s a very small but welcoming home): they hung an old-fashioned shade from the ceiling right in front of the flat-screen TV (mounted above the fireplace) and attached a poster of an antique map on it, so that when it’s down, it looks like art over the fireplace for a fraction of the cost of other options.

6 Likes

Yikes! That is almost a parody of non-design.

3 Likes

My fave from that thread so far:

Hmmm, can’t figure out the embed. Worth a click, though. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Both! It has a turntable and radio too. I fixed it up. Replaced the built in turntable with another model that was better. The sound is pretty good!

3 Likes

I browsed that subreddit, my take away is a lot of those situations seem to be…

Some TVs are placed in the only place available.
Some TVs are not the main focus of the room so they are put where they can be seen occasionally.
Some TVs are too high but in my opinion some are too low.

In my case there are three TVs in the house.

The living room is on top of an entertainment center with a fireplace built into it. That height was decided because in the living room one person is usually reclined in a chair and one person is usually laying down on the couch. Based on that subreddit it’s probablly too high but we know how we watch.

The bedroom TV is also probablly too high, it’s about 6 foot from the foot of the bed and it’s only watched laying down so it needs to be up higher.

The final TV is in our craft room, it’s mounted up high to be out of the way and be able to see it when we’re working, it’s mostly on in the background or used to watch a how to video for whatever we’re currently doing.

Our RV TVs would drive that subreddit bonkers. They are both mounted up high and out of the way .

In other words, it all works for us and we really don’t care what the internet says about TV height. If I was designing an entertainment room I would consult the internet but it would still come down to how we plan on watching.

3 Likes

The listing pictures solve one mystery - that enormous TV is intended to be watched from the bed.

The problem is that the additional pictures just give us more mystery. Why the staircase? Where does it go? Why paint it purple? And that’s just one “feature” of this monstrosity of anti-taste.

4 Likes

try holding a tablet 8" from your nose - much bigger screen than your 55" across the room. Hell, I can beat that with my phone.

1 Like