A speedy, scurrying bug robot the size of a penny

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/a-speedy-scurrying-bug-robot.html

2 Likes

Something just creeps me out about the thought of tiny robots running around in my veins.

3 Likes

These are the Cubans, baby. This is the Cohibas, the Montecristos. This is a kinetic-kill, side-winder vehicle with a secondary cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine RDX burst. It’s capable of busting a bunker under the bunker you just busted. If it were any smarter, it’d write a book, a book that would make Ulysses look like it was written in crayon. It would read it to you. This is my Eiffel Tower. This is my Rachmaninoff’s Third. My Pieta. It’s completely elegant, it’s bafflingly beautiful, and it’s capable of reducing the population of any standing structure to zero. I call it “The Ex-Wife.”

Sorry, I can’t listen to a video that keeps repeating the word hammer without thinking of that speech.

2 Likes

I spent a little too much money a few April Fool’s Days ago trying to find a fake cockroach that I could graft onto the smallest Hexabug (Hexabug Nano), so I could freak out a co-worker.

Ultimately I had to settle for just putting fake roaches all over the place at work.

Good times.

I, for one, welcome our new microbot underlords.

3 Likes

I don’t care if it’s not for sale just

…about small objects with many legs scurrying around in my peripheral vision. People working near these would have to be careful, unless those robots were designed to survive a shoe.

Pet peeve: Until it is an actual product you can buy that has on-board power and no tether, it’s just another university research announcement that will likely go nowhere until there is a concrete, identified application with attached productization funding. Neat, but useless until then.

I think it would be a great surveillance platform.

I can’t call it a bug because it is obviously already a bug.

I’m sold. I want as many of these as can fit neatly and directly to the soles of my shoes. Thus donned, I want to get around without moving my legs. Is that too much to ask?

The day approaches…

Is this “Runaway” for embolisms?

Especially if they’re the size of a penny!

You might be interested in this little device Here’s a DIY version. I wouldn’t recommend to use it more than 2 hrs on, because that’s cruel.

roach

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.