A stopped clock in Colombia is a telling example of collective false memories

Originally published at: A stopped clock in Colombia is a telling example of collective false memories | Boing Boing

1 Like

Might you be confusing Bologna and Bogotá?

15 Likes

The way I remember it, Bologna is in Columbia. Who’s with me?

12 Likes

Hey, who remembers the time when Trump won the 2020 election? That happened, right?

3 Likes

The study was conducted 13 years after the clock was permanently set to 10:25. Skimming this paper I don’t see any indication that they controlled for how many interviewees were “misremembering” versus how many simply hadn’t used the station regularly prior to 1996.

It seems likely that a lot of people had simply heard that the clock read 10:25 because the the 1980 bomb blast stopped it at that time (which is true) but didn’t hear the part about how it was temporarily repaired (which is less interesting).

19 Likes

Bologna, Italy vs. Bogota, Colombia.

It’s all Greek to us Americans.

4 Likes

It took a licking and stopped ticking…

5 Likes

4 Likes

Load of Bogota.

4 Likes

Shaking Cold Weather GIF by funk

2 Likes

Cool! Now do Jesus.

Whaddya mean “They’re all dead?”

1 Like

If someone asked me about the clock on the Ferry Building in SF, the best I could come up with is that I think it works. If you asked me the same about the clock on the Oakland Tribune Tower, I wouldn’t have a clue. I think this is more about who looks at public clocks anymore - they use their cell phones instead.

A bus, that was parked near the station just after the explosion was used to transport the corpses to the obituary. It was preserved and as you could see in the video is still roadworthy. Every year in the commemoration of the vent is put in front of the station.

4 Likes

It was in Bologna, Italy. I was 20 when the fascists put that bomb. I can confirm that until now I have always thought that the clock was stopped

11 Likes

867752755-tumblr_n14d8hk8Ot1s1jhxwo7_250

1 Like

Wait. Are you trying to tell me everybody’s dead?

ccad2ad55f2b4aeca9146a05d65dde97

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.