A stovetop pizza oven that hits 600F in 10 minutes

My great aunt had a very similar device from the 40’s for baking potatoes without and oven. Though it had very little thermal mass. It was made entirely out of thin, double layered steel. The bottom had holes in both layers, though offset from each other. With a thin plate of metal between the layers. And the top was effectively like a thermos wall. It seemed to work by convection pulling though the bottom while the top trapped heat. When placed over a gas burner.

Pretty neat thing. Worked fairly well IIRC.

6 Likes

Unless it’s another pizza.

Did it get “top marks”? Looks like just a roundup of various gadgets. I’d want to read an in-depth review before plunking down 180 clams.

It’s on Amazon for $77. I’d wait for more/better reviews.

1 Like

…or someone’s bottom

Electric stove here. I’m still looking for an excuse to buy a dutch oven for car camping.

Hmm, parchment paper. I might try that.

ETA: I tried making bagels from frozen pizza dough. My mistake was in not punching it down enough. Next time I’ll use a roller. The bun monsters were still pretty edible.

4 Likes

Yay, another kitchen gadget for me to buy where I injure myself as always.

4 Likes

100% use parchment paper. I put my pizza dough on parchment and slide that right onto the stone. It keeps the stone cleaner and is so much easier to transfer from the cookie sheet I use as a peel. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Having worked for two pizza chains, I’ve likely made and cooked 10,000 pizzas.

I’ve found that the vaunted ‘really hot oven’ only results in the toppings being over-cooked while leaving the inside raw. I’ve found that a pizza stone or massive metal pan simply causes the pizza to keep cooking under uneven heat and after removal from the oven. Not unexpected. That’s fine if you have a lousy oven or want to serve the pizza while it’s still cooking, but the down side is that you can’t stop the process to avoid burning.

You want a really good pizza? Spray down the underside of the crust with butter-flavored spray oil, and cook it in a big frying pan that has a lid. And cook it at a lower temp - 450F or so, so that the cheese is just becoming brown after half an hour. When it’s reached perfection, you turn the heat off and it won’t burn or overcook.

4 Likes

Oh good a unitasker, just in time for… the sixth day of Christmas?

2 Likes

Half an hour seems like a little much. I run my oven at 500F with a pizza stone and the cheese browns comfortably in 10 minutes. Mind you it takes a pretty solid half hour preheat, but I spend that time on prep.

This is why I’d probably spend the money ordering pizza from places with a much lower risk of fire than my non-commercial kitchen. Hell, I can’t even use the broiler because it’s too nerve-wracking.

1 Like

The stovetop deal is similar to the way I quickly and successfully reheat a couple of slices of pizza. (For me, microwaving is OUT!). I get a large frying pan on the stove, heat on high, covered, for ~5 minutes, crumple a sheet of aluminum foil and throw that into the pan as a barrier to prevent burning the bottom of the slices that I then set into the pan, recover the pan, and a few minutes later I have perfectly reheated pizza.

600F? I have no problem baking a pizza at 425 for 15 minutes.

That’s your problem right there.

With an improperly made pizza, full of crap ingredients. Managed the bar end of a Italian joint with a full pizza operation (and recently added a bakery!). The standard gas oven ran at 800F, the brick oven ran at over 1200F. No over cooked toppings. No raw insides.

I do much the same, my oven can’t really get going much hotter than that. No integrated broiler. I do mine in a sheet pan though (likes me a grandma pie). Usually put the pan on a stone, and sometimes I’ll remove the pie when its set to finish bare on the stone. It seems to take longer than 10 minutes. Maybe 15, 20 at most. But part of that is the style of pizza I’m making. Part of it is knowing deep down inside that pizza is better cooked darker.

Its not technically a unitasker. Think of it as a tiny stove top oven. I think a more domed lid would have been nice. Probably make bad ass bread in there. But as it is its probably pretty damn good for flatbread of all sorts. Also hot dogs. Hot dogs cooked in a pizza oven rock.

Provided it works at all that is.

I’ve found that I can eke a little bit more performance out of my oven by overturning a shotglass over the output vent. As well, five minutes into the bake I switch from oven to broiler. I wish I could turn both on.

The usual “broiler trick” is to preheat the oven to its max temp. Then switch to the broiler, but prop the door open with a towel, pot holder, something heat resistant. The preheat gets you hot faster. And propping the door open prevents the oven thermostat from correctly recognizing the the temp its operating at. So the broiler will never cycle off. Apparently you can trick the oven into going up well over its normal heat limit.

I’ve done it back when I had a shit electric stove in a studio apartment. Worked pretty good.

Currently in a house that features a restaurant grade stove/oven combo. No broilers in the oven. Its a separate bit of the stove, integrated into a carbon steel griddle. And there’s not exactly a lot that can be done to mess with intakes and outtakes. Presumably I could swap out some thermostats, and burners to convert one of the two ovens into a higher temp range, and lose some of its low temp capabilities (it can hold 150F accurately). Think I’ve seen this same stove set up that way. But I don’t mess with pressurized gas and its not my stove.

2 Likes

Here’s another trick - fitting an insulating sleeve over the oven thermometer. But I think I like the idea of cracking it open a bit more.

1 Like

that’s why you get four of them.

1 Like

Corium pizza stone like have in hometown cook faster than 10 minute