A stovetop pizza oven that hits 600F in 10 minutes

That’s your problem right there.

With an improperly made pizza, full of crap ingredients. Managed the bar end of a Italian joint with a full pizza operation (and recently added a bakery!). The standard gas oven ran at 800F, the brick oven ran at over 1200F. No over cooked toppings. No raw insides.

I do much the same, my oven can’t really get going much hotter than that. No integrated broiler. I do mine in a sheet pan though (likes me a grandma pie). Usually put the pan on a stone, and sometimes I’ll remove the pie when its set to finish bare on the stone. It seems to take longer than 10 minutes. Maybe 15, 20 at most. But part of that is the style of pizza I’m making. Part of it is knowing deep down inside that pizza is better cooked darker.

Its not technically a unitasker. Think of it as a tiny stove top oven. I think a more domed lid would have been nice. Probably make bad ass bread in there. But as it is its probably pretty damn good for flatbread of all sorts. Also hot dogs. Hot dogs cooked in a pizza oven rock.

Provided it works at all that is.

I’ve found that I can eke a little bit more performance out of my oven by overturning a shotglass over the output vent. As well, five minutes into the bake I switch from oven to broiler. I wish I could turn both on.

The usual “broiler trick” is to preheat the oven to its max temp. Then switch to the broiler, but prop the door open with a towel, pot holder, something heat resistant. The preheat gets you hot faster. And propping the door open prevents the oven thermostat from correctly recognizing the the temp its operating at. So the broiler will never cycle off. Apparently you can trick the oven into going up well over its normal heat limit.

I’ve done it back when I had a shit electric stove in a studio apartment. Worked pretty good.

Currently in a house that features a restaurant grade stove/oven combo. No broilers in the oven. Its a separate bit of the stove, integrated into a carbon steel griddle. And there’s not exactly a lot that can be done to mess with intakes and outtakes. Presumably I could swap out some thermostats, and burners to convert one of the two ovens into a higher temp range, and lose some of its low temp capabilities (it can hold 150F accurately). Think I’ve seen this same stove set up that way. But I don’t mess with pressurized gas and its not my stove.

2 Likes

Here’s another trick - fitting an insulating sleeve over the oven thermometer. But I think I like the idea of cracking it open a bit more.

1 Like

that’s why you get four of them.

1 Like

Corium pizza stone like have in hometown cook faster than 10 minute

Imagine people who don’t have your oven.

I’ve tried lots of pizza tech. Grill, kamado, Frying Pan, several pizza stones. And just said nope…no more with trying to replicate a real wood burning oven at home.
For basic pizza I 1cup 00 Italian flour 2 cups bread flour (yeast, salt, a bit of sugar…and 1 cup water)

5 hours or over night…use ‘half’ of that dough rolled out a inverted sheet pan very thin. Decorate it and move the entire thing in a 375 oven for 35 mins or until the bottom crisps up.

Broil it for 2 mins if you like burned bits.
Rolling out the dough on the sheet pan helps a lot if to keep toppings from being tossed off trying to use a peel.
Also…the sheet pan conducts heat very quickly to the dough.

more than 1 out of 5 reviewers give this the lowest possible rating.

Note: Not recommended for cooking clams.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.