A student made a minute-long compilation of the 125 times their Econ professor said "beef" in one lecture

I liked the part where he said

Oh, never mind.

1 Like

Ha! Well screwed that joke up.

1 Like

The word “beeef” has now lost all meaning to me. Beaf?

I’m guessing it had been a long conference.

1 Like

While this professor was apparently fine with both the recording and the posting, for some of us this is one of the most annoying parts of classes moving online. Producing several lectures/week is difficult enough when you can be casual in a live classroom and not think about the possibility of a verbal tic or worse being preserved for perpetuity.

4 Likes

tombstone-5
It’s what’s for dinner, dammit!

1 Like

In a book by Dave Eggers or someone like that, a character mentions training themselves to stall by saying “now” (rather than “so”, “um” or “well”), on the grounds that “now” sounds decisive and active, and it’s easier than not using stalling words at all.

5 Likes

I think we found where the beef is.

3 Likes

Just a thought, maybe the professor said BEEF so often because the he wanted to debug his presentations later?

4 Likes

The hide. This angus me. Bet he was trying to flesh his presentation out - I’ll waygu a dollar for a dime.Tho, maybe he just wanted to be certain his audience herd. They should take a pol on it.

4 Likes

I’ve thought the same about Brits who start a lot of sentences with “Right!”

1 Like

XS5LK

2 Likes

When I started giving training lessons, I talked to an experienced trainer. He told me “At any given moment, I reckon about 10% of the class is asleep, 10% is paying attention, and 80% are thinking about sex. It’s a real privilege, having a job where you make 80% of your audience so happy.”

3 Likes

Well, what the thing is, is that, in my experience, the British Sentence Opening Gambit is, “Well, what the thing is, is…”

@VeronicaConnor If I’m not being too forward, what is the name of your YouTube channel?

1 Like

Oh wow, I feel this soooo hard (pun probably not intended). I had a feeling I overused ‘so’ at the start of sentences, but when I had to do a couple of pieces to camera (not my favourite thing) last year in the first lockdown, I almost wouldn’t let them be used. Unfortunately there was no time to re-record with the press guys interviewing me so they ‘aired’ as planned.

The only consolation was that when I mentioned this to cow-orkers, they thought it was all fine and couldn’t see what I was fretting about :grin:

Regarding the article video, I lost it at “Nothing but beef” :ox:

Now, I have a hankering for some Rich Beef Sausages.

4 Likes

Is there any chance that halloween costume was of a numberjack?

sorry, I couldn’t help it

4 Likes

Pure teutonic king of a giant herculean hamburger, beef carcass with a few more steaks. The Mighty Hamburger.

Is this gonna beef on the exam?

1 Like

My wife has now heard me on a lot of Zoom calls, and apparently mine is “like say…”

@xkot I’m glad you commented, I almost didn’t watch. The comic timing and choices around adding in additional words and pauses was pretty great. I can’t wait for the autotuned / musical remix.

2 Likes