A student made a minute-long compilation of the 125 times their Econ professor said "beef" in one lecture

Originally published at: A student made a minute-long compilation of the 125 times their Econ professor said "beef" in one lecture | Boing Boing

5 Likes
19 Likes

Where’s Clara when you need her!
On a similar not… Lydia Bastianich’s pbs show can be turned into a drinking game, take a drink every time she says the phrase “just like that”, she said it 10 times in the first 8 minutes of her show once… you could be really hammered by the end of the show.

3 Likes

Hmm. Sorry, but I’m missing something… Why is that presentation so funny for the audience?

I had a professor who used the phrase “as such” frequently, sometimes as often as three times in a sentence. We used to bet how many times he would say the phrase in a lecture. Occasionally the count would hit triple digits in a one hour lecture.

9 Likes

I hope Tino is a film editing major. That was pretty awesome.

5 Likes

It’s a parody of the format and presentation style of scientific presentations. If you are watching a highly technical presentation where you don’t understand the jargon, it will come across exactly like this. The slides, the diagrams, and especially having slides to anticipate a question from the audience are all spot on.

In other words, It and the paper that it’s based on have all the appearance of being a serious presentation, but it’s all just chickens. then semantic satiation takes over and you’re stuck in an absurd situation, waiting for anything to make sense. Plus “chickens” is close to being an inherently funny word.

I had also heard, (but can’t confirm) that this was meant to have been a prank to demonstrate that a particular journal was not checking submissions to it properly, by submitting deliberate nonsense. Giving a presentation on the nonsense is just taking the joke one step further.

TL:DR- Chickens.

18 Likes

One thing that having a YouTube channel does is show you all your verbal tics. I have edited thousands of hours of myself talking and holy crap there are some big ones I never knew about. I am, for example, seemingly physically incapable of starting a new thought without the word “So”. There are many more, but it’s very humbling to hear a lot of recordings of yourself speaking. I guess our brains filter out our own tics in self-defense.

25 Likes

Ah, economics…where they put the dependent variable on the Y axis.

1 Like

When I was in grad school, all conference presentations followed this format: main slide with incremented bullet points summarizing findings interspersed with slides full of technical details pertaining to each finding. As presenter, you had to go through the presentation in a strict time limit, so the presentation was terse to the point of having to use massive amounts of field specific jargon as shorthand. People in the audience who weren’t intimately connected with your field would find your presentation nigh incomprehensible.

This was fine when you were presenting to your peers, but a lot of conferences were more general, with papers from unrelated fields being presented back to back to back so you had a mixed audience for whom large amounts of these presentations would be more or less incomprehensible. Hence this chicken paper presentation.

Note that everything stated above applied to the actual generalist journals as well, so there was actually a chicken paper published.

Yes, most presenters had the same delivery as this presenter. Yes, most people used the blandest most generic PowerPoint templates. Yes, there was always a follow up question slide or two… it was a way to cheat in more information outside of the presentation time limit, so every presentation always had a hook in it to bait knowledgeable audience members to ask the follow-up question you had prepared for.

10 Likes

Obligs

9 Likes

I provide technical training frequently and noticed in one of my classes that a trainee was making tally marks. He had been keeping track of how many times I said “okay” at the beginning of each slide, and how many times I said “actually” before explaining a point. That was a few years ago and it’s still really hard to stop myself.

13 Likes

Chicken.
Chicken, chicken chicken chicken? Chicken chicken chicken chicken, chicken chicken chicken chicken (chicken chicken) chicken chicken chicken.

8 Likes

Why did the chicken refuse to cross the road?

Because it was chicken

8 Likes

Heh, I do that…
1515218-200

Keeps me alert during the lecture.

5 Likes

Which axis do you put it on?

5 Likes

There was nobody to egg it on?

And as I posted recently in another, entirely different thread - I don’t see why anyone has a beef with this. The video editor seems to simply be milking it.

5 Likes

giphy

6 Likes

It sounds like a beatbox tutorial video (and there’s “beef” in this one too);

5 Likes

Because it saw what happened to the armadillo.

2 Likes