A succinct, simple, excellent description of the problems of neoliberalism and their solution

It relates because they feel that we have been ‘bleating’ to give Obama a chance while trump hasn’t been given the same courtesy. They cling to teabag conservatism because they view that as the best chance at shaking things up. I really am sorry my personal life spills over so much but I mean what I say when these are the people you need to sway, and I’ve done a piss poor job of it.

2 Likes

I understand your problem - you’ve explained it in multiple threads, multiple times. What I was suggesting, perhaps too subtlety, is that your constant bringing of every political thread back to your family is threadjacking.

1 Like

An understandable sentiment and perhaps not a wrong one. I feel there is relevance, but as you point out. If someone is popping up over… And over… And over… And over… Going on about their problems. That is a problem.

2 Likes

Relevance, yes. I’m just saying let’s have a discussion here about economic neoliberalism and solutions thereto, then we can discuss how to convince your family of its dangers in the thread you created for that purpose.

My biggest personal problem is I have seen no system that doesn’t somehow fuck someone over. Then again I flunked college and don’t work so take that with a shaker of salt.

1 Like

Depends, I suppose, on your definition of “fuck over.” I guess conservatives (sorry, economic neoliberals) would say that any kind of taxation fucks them over, and progressive taxes do it even more. That restrictions on business deals, limitations on monopolies, or even labor, safety, or environmental regulations fuck them over.

I would say that the fucking starts much earlier with the creation of a system of ownership that allows one person to own the land on which you’re standing (no matter where you stand) and limits your ability to provide basic food and shelter for yourself.

If we’re going to create a system that minimizes the fucking over of people, let’s start with some basic protections for people so that, if they’re stopped from providing for themselves through a system of ownership, they are at least the ones least fucked over. And let’s limit the ownership class’s ability to fuck over the rest of the people. Fucking people over isn’t an unlimited right, the restriction of which is a fucking over in itself. Fucking people over is something that is created by our system of ownership, and it’s perfectly reasonable to place limitations on it.

PS please don’t equate not graduating college with not being educated. There are plenty of opportunities to get an education without the institution of a university. If you feel like you need help accessing those opportunities, I’m happy to offer some direction.

3 Likes

Winning by quite a lot, actually. Trump lost the popular vote, remember?

The majority of Americans support public education, gay rights, living wages, etc etc. But the majority of Americans are not in control of the country.

The fight against the TrumpGOP isn’t cultural, it’s political. And although converting individual people may be admirable and worthwhile, it isn’t a viable political strategy.

You defeat fascism with numbers, not persuasion.

3 Likes

The US has 7 tax brackets: 10%, 15%, 25%, 28%, 33%, 35%, and 39.6%. While income varies from essentially zero to hundreds of millions of dollars per year. So if the government took 90% of the income of the top 1% they would still have a tens of millions of dollars more that you…

To my mind, taking 15% of the income of someone that makes $9,276 is crazy…

5 Likes

I just hope you’re okay.

1 Like

Barring things getting substantially worse I’ll be fine. Not great, not happy, but better off than I could be.

Just try to remember even with everything my family are not a pack of monsters that don white hoods or march in goose step formation. They just see what looks like other groups elevated while they suffer.

1 Like

I started to read it, but the Fool Cell intro piece dissuaded me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.