A surprisingly large number of animals kill each other after sex

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/15/a-surprisingly-large-number-of.html

2 Likes

“It’s probably not the male’s preferred outcome,”

Was thinking the same thing.

17 Likes

19 Likes

16 Likes

:musical_score: Speeerm in a baaag…
All we are is sperm in a baag… :notes:

7 Likes
In fact, immediately after the consummation of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the species she kills and eats him - *laugh* **oh, she is** **delicious.. and I hope he was!** Such power and dignity - unhampered by sentiment. If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy, I feel that man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child-king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor!
4 Likes

In grade school I caught a fairly large praying mantis. I fed it bugs and loved watching it. One day I found a smaller mantis and thought maybe they will make babies and threw it into the cage. The larger one grabbed the smaller one and started eating at the head and ate all the way through to the tail in a very short time. Then casually tossed aside the leftover left and right set of wings and legs. I was so freaked out I took the lid off the cage and let it go.

19 Likes

What, no angler fish?

9 Likes

You think that’s bad, you should see what humans do to each other on a completely enclosed planet. It’ll send chills down your spine.

21 Likes

Female wolf spiders and tarantulas, who often eat males pre-intercourse

So is this “eat” in a “wink, nudge” foreplay situation, or in a “having a full meal” kind of way? Because if it’s the latter, I totally don’t understand the logistics of how the intercourse occurs afterward.

18 Likes

It’s why the aliens always come all this way and then leave without even landing.

12 Likes

Unlike humans, who just die a little inside each time…

11 Likes

“What am I, chopped liver?”
“mmmm…chopped liver…”

6 Likes

Don’t forget the fava beans and a nice chianti.

4 Likes

Consume.
Consummate.

8 Likes

Necrophilia?

2 Likes

But the female ATE the male! What’s left to necro-intercourse-ify?

3 Likes

Valentine’s Day was yesterday.

8 Likes

Maybe they left those parts intact until afterwards.

6 Likes

Huh. That’s creepy! But practical, I suppose.

3 Likes