A talk show host on "antifa" and how rich republicans hoodwink poor republicans in witty video

Originally published at: A talk show host on "antifa" and how rich republicans hoodwink poor republicans in witty video | Boing Boing

16 Likes

the anti-anti-fascist movement of the right

Fixed for brevity and to remove redundancy.

27 Likes

There are 3 kinds of Republicans: Funders, Fanatics, and Fools.

18 Likes

More people need to call them the profa.

21 Likes

To repeat the exchange a friend of mine had with his boss:

“Are you a fascist?”

“No, of course not!”

“So you’re anti fascist then?”

"Yes. . . "

“Which means you’re antifa, which is short for anti-fascist.”

“No, you see, that’s not, uhhh. . . .”

To them “antifa” is like a foreign word-- you may as well be saying al Qaeda or Hamas.

26 Likes

well trodden and stereotypical, but well presented image…

34 Likes

I love his caffeine fueled persona, really like it.

3 Likes

Wet blanket alert … hate when people play loose with broad political terms ‐ especially watering down a potent enemy like fascism.

Namely, it has nothing to do with being poor, or taxing billionaires, or good infrastructure.

It also doesn’t (really) have anything to do with voting rights.

You can absolutely be a fascist and pro mail-in/ drive through voting and bringing back the estate tax. In fact, involuntary wealth redistribution was a central value proposition of most of the 20th century western Fascist states.

Nothing upsets reactionaries more than fascists getting punched in the mouth.
resist richard spencer GIF by nehahalol

6 Likes
  • “they’re fascists”
5 Likes

I think you make a good point. Using very specific words like “fascism” muddles the argument. These people are into dictatorship or oligarchy, which can come from almost any political system.

I hate the penult accent on the shortened version. Antifascist has a great cadence to it. An-'ti-fa makes me wish I didn’t have ears.

4 Likes

A fascist state is literally an anti-democratic dictatorship.

20 Likes

I was supporting the Anti-Nazi League here in the U.K. back around 1977 onwards, so by definition I’ve been Antifa for getting on for half a century.
I’d think twice before wearing a tee shirt with the Antifa flag design on it should I ever visit the US again, though.

3 Likes

Mirriam-Webster defines “fascism” as

a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Voter suppression is absolutely a key element in a fascist regime, because you can’t maintain a dictatorship or an autocratic government when there are free and fair elections and all citizens get a meaningful voice in government.

23 Likes

Agree. Yet, somehow, Queen Latifah sounds great to my ears, which means a hell of a lot is happening in that first syllable.

2 Likes

Yeah, but how can you trust a dictionary! It’s clearly a tool of the REAL fascists who wish to share knowledge! /s

14 Likes

…Grammar Nazis!

16 Likes

Animated GIF

The fact that so many people can’t define something as simple as fascism, which is not a difficult set of concepts to grasp nor is it built on a deep well of intellectually rigorous ideas, really fucking depresses me. This is how we got to where we are… that people can no longer define the actual threat to democracy and freedom. Maybe they never could.

19 Likes

Way to bury the lede in that fascism literally takes the resources of scapegoated minorities and hands them directly to capitalist enterprise.

How is that not what republicans strive for?

15 Likes