A TED talk about what's wrong with TED talks

Nothing new under the sun. Your mission statement (“To change things in a way that makes us rich.”) has already been done. From Chris Martenson’s Crash Course, Chapter 15 on Bubbles:

A second example of a bubble comes from the 1700’s and goes by the name “The South Sea Bubble.” The South Sea Company was an English company granted a monopoly to trade with South America under a treaty with Spain. The fact that the company was rather ordinary in its profits prior to the government monopoly did not deter people from speculating wildly about its potential future value, and the share price rose dramatically. Nor did the fact that the company was billed as “A company for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is."

Like I said…nothing new under the sun.

1 Like

That does not surprise me in the least. I have had a pet theory that the early bubbles with the Dutch East India Company, et al, had a bunch of parallels to the crap we’re dealing with today.

I think it’s important that people (the media in particular) ensure they clearly delineate TED content from TEDx content. They’re very different beasts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.