A teen and her mom face felony charges for abortion in Nebraska — and Facebook DMs helped with the arrest

I hate this fucking timeline.

35 Likes

There was never any question this was coming. Just where and when. It’s no good to pass oppressive laws if you can’t then turn around and oppress people. (Of course, you also have to make allowance for the fact that they don’t really view women as, strictly speaking, “people.”

31 Likes

It’s at times like this that I wish there was an easy way to claim asylum in Canada. This sucks.

9 Likes

Stop linking out to them as a resource Boingboing.

3 Likes

If ever there was a case for jury nullification - this is it.

29 Likes

Well, I certainly hope every Nebraska forced-birth male politician can account for the whereabouts of any tumor they’ve had removed. If this nonviable bundle of cells is a body, then so is a prostate tumor.

19 Likes

100% agree.

2 Likes

In a just world, the person on trial in this case would be Zuckerberg: how is it that Meta can advertise on the basis of “privacy” and then turn around and cough up DMs to the busybodies in “law enforcement”?

10 Likes

So much for Mark Zuckerberg’s claim in June that Facebook users using the platform to seek abortion would be protected by encryption.

Encryption means nothing when the person who holds the main key has a long history of helping fascists.

14 Likes

Just posted on this idea yesterday

7 Likes

The media loves to hype social media as tools for freedom and social organization (especially after the Arab Spring), but it’s important to keep in mind that they have effectively turned into tools of oppression and surveillance that work hand-in-hand with the government. As primary communication tools for huge numbers of civilians this is terrifying during our current slide towards centralized authoritarianism. It’s past time to have serious conversations with your friends and family (and everyone fucking else) on how to be safe, secure, and private in your online communications.* If they tell you they’ve done nothing illegal remind them that even if they haven’t done anything that is currently illegal standards can change and past behavior will be used against people.

*before someone calls me out for not being great at this myself… I know. But I’m getting better.

4 Likes

Good Morning Podcast GIF by Earwolf

12 Likes

Were these “illegal” acts considered illegal in Nebraska before Roe v Wade was overturned and likely to be perused? Is the a case of the Supreme Court ruling making them bold enough to prosecute persecute them?

5 Likes

I just came here to say the exact same fucking thing. Fuck FB and Zuckerberg, who is an arch fascist. Fuck the GOP and the goddamned RNC (you can’t spell “rancid” without RNC). Fuck the Supreme Court. Fuck religion. Fuck Nebraska. And fuck the prosecutors in this case. Did I miss anyone?

5 Likes

Nope, not writing off entire regions; many innocent people can’t help where they were born or now reside.

That said, I hope the jury selected knows about nullification and uses it in this case.

14 Likes

It will be if I’m ever on a fucking jury. I always promised myself that if I ever found myself sitting on a jury for a non-violent drug charge that I would vote to acquit, period, and no evidence was going to change my mind. It still hasn’t happened.

3 Likes

I’ll settle for Nebraskan lawmakers then and leave the populace out of it.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’m reasonably sure that our next civil war will be triggered by a state like California refusing to extradite someone to face trial for this sort of thing, and the fed being forced to choose sides.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.